Weird scorpion behavior

Ben L

Arachnopeon
So recently I purchased an A. Bicolor from a local exotic pet shop. They have had this little 3i bicolor for a while and it was a species I’ve been wanting for a while. I’ve had it for 2 weeks now and it doesn’t seem to be doing too well. The shop had hat it for almost a year and it had never molted due to not being heated properly. I felt bad for it so I decided to make it a better enclosure and bring it home. It doesn’t move too much, seems a little sluggish, and doesn’t respond to vibrations how a normal scorpion would. It also doesn’t seem to mind the light and stays out 95% of the time instead of going under its cork bark (the light in the picture was only used for the picture) I keep deathstalkers and bark scorpions so I’m pretty experienced with highly venomous desert species. However, this one just seems a little of. Temp tank is always around 80°f and it has a small water dish if needed. The substrate is desert sand and only about 2” deep because it is not a burrowing species to my knowledge. It has more than enough space as a 3i. I did notice some calcium sand stuck to it from the local exotics shop but it shouldn’t affect the scorpion that much and would fall off with the next molt. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge on this particular species that is more active/aggressive than most other scorpions? Do you guys think this might be normal stressed behavior or lack of molting for so long?

attached below is a picture of the A. Bicolor:

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So recently I purchased an A. Bicolor from a local exotic pet shop. They have had this little 3i bicolor for a while and it was a species I’ve been wanting for a while. I’ve had it for 2 weeks now and it doesn’t seem to be doing too well. The shop had hat it for almost a year and it had never molted due to not being heated properly. I felt bad for it so I decided to make it a better enclosure and bring it home. It doesn’t move too much, seems a little sluggish, and doesn’t respond to vibrations how a normal scorpion would. It also doesn’t seem to mind the light and stays out 95% of the time instead of going under its cork bark (the light in the picture was only used for the picture) I keep deathstalkers and bark scorpions so I’m pretty experienced with highly venomous desert species. However, this one just seems a little of. Temp tank is always around 80°f and it has a small water dish if needed. The substrate is desert sand and only about 2” deep because it is not a burrowing species to my knowledge. It has more than enough space as a 3i. I did notice some calcium sand stuck to it from the local exotics shop but it shouldn’t affect the scorpion that much and would fall off with the next molt. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge on this particular species that is more active/aggressive than most other scorpions? Do you guys think this might be normal stressed behavior or lack of molting for so long?

attached below is a picture of the A. Bicolor:
Your scorpion is inactive due to being cold.
It stays out under the light looking for warmth.
It won't use it's hide because cork is an insulater, and it will be even colder under there.
80 is too cold.
Try 90 and it will eat and act normally..
If you use a light make sure it's on a 12 on, 12 off cycle.
Also increase the substrate depth, it may not be known as a deep burrower but may still burrow if it wants.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
No Way this is I3? To my knowledge Androctonus don't get too large (i kept a bunch of australis and two bicolor).

And they do burrow. A lot.

Edit: 8cm when adult, might explain why it never molted 😉

Arthroworld Indonesia

Arachnopeon
A. Bicolor tolerate a wide range of habitats and is widespread across Africa and the Middle East—so temperature should be around 85°F-95°F give or take. Raising the temp wouldn’t hurt.

If the calcium sand is sticking around its anus and tail is probably its feces/diarrhea—it might have been fed an improper diet, too cold or was stressed. Just make sure its anus isn’t directly covered by the debris or else it’ll get “impacted” and they won’t be able to excrete.

Keep an eye out if its isn’t dragging its tail or acting lethargic—in my experience this is usually an indicator that something might be wrong. Otherwise, I hope everything goes well with the Scorp! 😁

Arthroworld Indonesia

Arachnopeon
No Way this is I3? To my knowledge Androctonus don't get too large (i kept a bunch of australis and two bicolor).

I agree with TW, as A. Bicolor tend to average around 5.5 cm +/- (Male 7i) and 7 cm +/- (Female 7i)—they don’t grow that large, maxing around 8cm usually. So I’m doubtful Ben is dealing with a 3i. 😅

Ben L

Arachnopeon
A. Bicolor tolerate a wide range of habitats and is widespread across Africa and the Middle East—so temperature should be around 85°F-95°F give or take. Raising the temp wouldn’t hurt.

If the calcium sand is sticking around its anus and tail is probably its feces/diarrhea—it might have been fed an improper diet, too cold or was stressed. Just make sure its anus isn’t directly covered by the debris or else it’ll get “impacted” and they won’t be able to excrete.

Keep an eye out if its isn’t dragging its tail or acting lethargic—in my experience this is usually an indicator that something might be wrong. Otherwise, I hope everything goes well with the Scorp! 😁
I did make sure it wasn’t impacted, it eats and defecates normally. It rarely drags it’s tail but sometimes acts a little lethargic. I will increase the terrariums temperature to see if it will become more active.

Ben L

Arachnopeon
Your scorpion is inactive due to being cold.
It stays out under the light looking for warmth.
It won't use it's hide because cork is an insulater, and it will be even colder under there.
80 is too cold.
Try 90 and it will eat and act normally..
If you use a light make sure it's on a 12 on, 12 off cycle.
Also increase the substrate depth, it may not be known as a deep burrower but may still burrow if it wants.
Thanks for the advice! The original container the pet shop had it in only gave it about a centimeter or two of calcium sand as a substrate so I knew it wasn’t getting the right care there. I will wait a week or two before adding more desert sand and a little clay so it can borrow if it wants. I want to wait just a little to see if it becomes more active from turning up the heat and also not to stress it out more.

Ben L

Arachnopeon

Thanks for the information! This guy is pretty small and is only about the size of a quarter when curled up. I’m thinking its growth may have been a little stunted due to improper care at the pet shop it had originally been. I will increase the heat and add more substrate that it can burrow in. It seems to be doing ok at the moment and has started to move under the cork bark now that I increased the heat. I am going to assume it’s around 4i or 5i instead.

Arthroworld Indonesia

Arachnopeon
I did make sure it wasn’t impacted, it eats and defecates normally. It rarely drags it’s tail but sometimes acts a little lethargic. I will increase the terrariums temperature to see if it will become more active.
All the best then, hopefully they make a steady recovery--The lethargy can probably be attributed to being too cold, raise the temp and see how it goes from there. 👍