weird scare

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just went to look at my rosea and found her in the corner flat on the ground with two legs under her and one spinneret slowly moving. i took the lid off - no movement. i wobbled the tank - no movement. so i touched her abdomen and she sprung back to life and kicked a load of hairs at me, and missed. i guess this means she's ok but seeing as she's my first and only T i was really worried. also she still hasn't eaten a thing yet since i got her on wednesday. what do you think happened?
:? Jono

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They lie still in odd positions, often partially or fully hanging from the sides. I would not read anything into their poses or their motionlessness.

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok thanks. also do u think that i should mist her tank. i haven't so far and one corner has started to get very dry where the peat is starting to turn light brown. the rest is still fairly moist as a little bit of condensation forms during the night and you can see moisture in the peat through the glass.
thanks, Jono

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The G. rosea dont need alot of moist, i keep mine quite dry, i mist one a week or every 14 days and she have a small water dish! She seems fine with that :)

When it comes to eating, dont worry about it. Just trie onse or twise a week, if she take the cricet, throw in one more when she is finnish, until she dont take them any more.
Dont let the crikets be in there for more than 24 ours. If she still has'nt taken it after that time, she is not hungry, and you should take out the criket.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
don't mist at all..you don't need to. Just make sure her water dish is full.
I find my GBB in the strangest positions sometimes....like it's slid down off the glass and is lying on it's side in the substrate....legs all curled up. But when I try to see if it's ok....it is NOT pleased!
Now, I just look at my Ts when they are in 'odd' positions, and I leave them alone ;)

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does that mean that when she does eat, she'll eats lots? :D
also, aren't you supposed to leave a dry patch in the corner?
thanks, Jono

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jono_mad
does that mean that when she does eat, she'll eats lots? :D
also, aren't you supposed to leave a dry patch in the corner?
thanks, Jono
If you mist, I have read that it's good to only mist one side, letting the T decide which one is preferable. But, again, with that species, misting is not very important except when molting, and there are always dangers lurking in environments that are too moist.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with Immortal Sin. I never mist G. rosea. They do fine with a large water dish.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
every time i peer in on my B Vagans it is in a weird position of some sort i swear it changes every hour :)