Weird protuberance attached to whip-spider's abdomen - advice needed

Arnostek007

Arachnopeon
Today I found this wierd protuberance attached on my whip-spider's (stygophrynus sp. malaysia) abdomen. It looks like it grows directly from his body. He's very languid. I have put him in plastic box with wet paper towel. Did anybody ever ecountered it? Or do you have some theories, abot what it could be? Please let mě know if you have any idea how to help him. IMG_20191204_174827.jpg

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That does not look good whatever it is. It superficially appears to be an egg sac that ruptured through the opposite side of the abdomen, although I don't think that that is even possible (especially considering it is a male, ha ha).
@aphono, @Banshee05, @BobBarley, @schmiggle, any ideas on what this is?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh, I though this was a male judging by the size of pedipalds
Exactly which is why it's not possible, ha ha. Anyway, I called in the more experienced amblypygi enthusiasts, so hopefully they can lend a better explanation as to what this is.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arnostek007

Arachnopeon
Today I found this wierd protuberance attached on my whip-spider's (stygophrynus sp. malaysia) abdomen. It looks like it grows directly from his body. He's very languid. I have put him in plastic box with wet paper towel. Did anybody ever ecountered it? Or do you have some theories, abot what it could be? Please let mě know if you have any idea how to help him. View attachment 327477
Here's more detailed photo from bottom IMG_20191204_230305.jpg

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Egg sac indeed. Seems that something went wrong and it ruptured and flowed down, as she was hanging, creating this.
EDIT: After discussing this with a friend it does look like a slipped sac that peeled off, even if the color isn't quite right. For sure a female then. A bizarre occurrence.

@Arnostek007, can you detail your care, enclosure, food provided, etc.? Have you handled it recently other than for taking the photos? Also, is this a recent acquisition? If so, WC or CB?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

aphono

Arachnobaron
It was hard to make out what exactly it was but after zooming in the second picture, it's clearly a damaged eggsac. It looks strange because it either came out malformed-kind of looks like the sac may have been too large for that amount of eggs(if such a thing happens) or possibly got partly stuck to something as the sac was firming up and got pulled down as it moved around. The lighter streak on ventral is the egg sac membrane stretched out between the vent and the egg clump itself.

Would suggest putting it in enclosure with both vertical and horizontal surfaces with high humidity. Normally they are able to eject eggsacs on their own, so hopefully itwill be able to eject this by herself

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yup, failed eggsac. If you got her recently (which is what I'm guessing), it was probably due to shipping stress.