Weird looking Isopod...

Stugy

Arachnolord
So I can across this guy or girl while walking my dog: nyar 004.jpg nyar 004.jpg I know there are 2 pictures but I can't figure out how to get rid of the 2nd one lol.
So do you think the isopod is sick? It's a different color rather than the normal grey. I really want to know if it doesn't have a parasite or sickness because I kinda like the color and I want to try to breed it with one of my albino isopods. Please answer quick.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Toss it back. I was reading something about this in a random thread here a week or two ago. The discoloration is due to some kind of affliction (parasite or illess) and you won't get any offspring you seek.

@Hisserdude, would know for sure.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Toss it back. I was reading something about this in a random thread here a week or two ago. The discoloration is due to some kind of affliction (parasite or illess) and you won't get any offspring you seek.

@Hisserdude, would know for sure.
AAAAAAH KILL IT WITH FIRE!! I MUST KEEP IT AWAY FROM MY COLONY!! D: Good thing I didn't introduce it to my colony D:.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Nope, this specimen is not sick, far from it. This is just a unique light color morph, (not albino), which can occur in many isopod species. There are several different color morphs found in isopods, there are Orange and Dalmatian strains of several different species, and I once had a colony of Pied Cylisticus covexus. Too bad you got rid of it, color morphs like that are rare. :(

Now isopods that are blue have a virus called iridovirus, it is fatal and though it makes the isopods infected with it a beautiful blue/purple color, it does eventually kill them. Even then, the virus usually dies out in culture, and if you have a nice healthy colony of isopods it's highly unlikely it would wipe them out.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Is this a wood louse? If so, I'll have to keep my eyes open for different colors. we have a lot of these.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Is this a wood louse? If so, I'll have to keep my eyes open for different colors. we have a lot of these.
Yes, Isopods are often called woodlice, sow bugs, roly-polys, etc., depending on the species.

This individual in specific is a Porcellio laevis.

Stugy

Arachnolord
MUAHAHAHA I DIDN'T GET RID OF IT YET. YES! I was going to wait
'till morning to burn it because if it was sick I don't want it to spread with the population of wood lice in my area and even if it couldn't spread I would've still burned it to put it out of its misery. Luckily first thing in the morning I checked the thread! I will be putting up a picture of my Dalmatian as it is a really nice looking one :) All my isopods are wild caught and I want to raise a special colony of a special color so I can feel speciaaaall. :astonished: I bet it'll take a while but I'll eventually start separating my isopods for the project. The problem is that they all live with Veni the Heterometrus petersii lol. Veni never eats isopods anyways as she is too big to catch them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
MUAHAHAHA I DIDN'T GET RID OF IT YET. YES! I was going to wait
'till morning to burn it because if it was sick I don't want it to spread with the population of wood lice in my area and even if it couldn't spread I would've still burned it to put it out of its misery. Luckily first thing in the morning I checked the thread! I will be putting up a picture of my Dalmatian as it is a really nice looking one :) All my isopods are wild caught and I want to raise a special colony of a special color so I can feel speciaaaall. :astonished: I bet it'll take a while but I'll eventually start separating my isopods for the project. The problem is that they all live with Veni the Heterometrus petersii lol. Veni never eats isopods anyways as she is too big to catch them.
That's good to hear, hopefully you can find more and try to isolate the morph, I myself also have some white P.laevis, however they don't seem to want to breed for me.

Hope your isopods do well for you! :)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh great, now the wood louse hobby is going to go into the toilet with all these new morphs just like the ball pythons and crested geckos.

Before you go off on me its a personal opinion. I hate morphs. I have yet to see a morph that I thought was more attractive than a really nice wild type and I cringe every time I see a new species pop out an albino or a leucistic or what have you.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Oh great, now the wood louse hobby is going to go into the toilet with all these new morphs just like the ball pythons and crested geckos.

Before you go off on me its a personal opinion. I hate morphs. I have yet to see a morph that I thought was more attractive than a really nice wild type and I cringe every time I see a new species pop out an albino or a leucistic or what have you.
look at a pied ball python mate.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire

It's just a little selective breeding though mate! your opinion sounds slightly like nazi idealism...In My Opinion. No offense but do you dislike biracial couples walking around the mall as well? :rolleyes:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking

The different isopod morphs are really cool and are only adding more variety to the hobby, what's to hate? It's just natural color variation man, I've caught bright orange P.scaber in the wild a few hours away from me. So for the isopods, it really is just natural, "wild" coloration. :)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
look at a pied ball python mate.
Ugly as heck IMO. The only BP morph I would own unless it was for my educational shows would be a lesser. Again, my personal opinion.

It's just a little selective breeding though mate! your opinion sounds slightly like nazi idealism...In My Opinion. No offense but do you dislike biracial couples walking around the mall as well? :rolleyes:
I can't even begin to imagine how you equate not liking morphs to NAZI idealism and mixed race couples. That's a HUGE stretch and I'm at a loss as to how to even respond to such a disjointed leap of logic.

So I don't like morphs. I think the majority of them are just plain ugly and the rest are not improvements over the normals. I don't like Puggles or labradoodles or glo fish either. While I'm at it I'm not fond of the new Ford Mustangs and I think Picasos paintings are very over rated (I prefer Bob Ross) I wonder what that makes me. I wish I could like EVERYTHING like you apparently do.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Makes you someone who has a decent taste in cars, dogs and likes museums.

It's called being open minded?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah. Any morph can happen in the wild. It's just extremely rare lol because of that chance XD. I love the new profile pic JSL.
Also, bright morphs are probably eaten faster in the wild, as they don't blend into their surroundings, thus adding to their rarity.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Also, bright morphs are probably eaten faster in the wild, as they don't blend into their surroundings, thus adding to their rarity.
Yeah. Pretty much anything is natural except you gotta rely on mere luck and chance and a few thousand other things to find morphs that are normally bred in captivity :p

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The different isopod morphs are really cool and are only adding more variety to the hobby, what's to hate? It's just natural color variation man, I've caught bright orange P.scaber in the wild a few hours away from me. So for the isopods, it really is just natural, "wild" coloration. :)

You are right, I don't mind the natural variations and they can be quite interesting. I didn't think everyone would take it so seriously. I certainly didn't think anyone would accuse me of being a NAZI