Weird dirt color in enclosure?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
921
Hi, this is just something I found wierd in my P. cam enclosure. This "dirt" in her terrarium looks a completely different color to the substrate. Just wanted to nake sure this isn't some type of fungus or mold in the terrarium. It is right next to one of the logs she uses for a hide, between the two.

Thanks, Abyss
 

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
5,094
Looks to me like cork bark sawdust. Do you feed morio worms or wax worms?
 

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Joined
Sep 24, 2015
Messages
4,583
supers and mealies can burrow into cork and other wood and make that stuff.
 

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
921
Looks to me like cork bark sawdust. Do you feed morio worms or wax worms?
I don't. I feed roaches, and she's eaten twice in my care. It also doesn't seem to stick to the bark, but seems to be spreading. May be my imagination. When I took the bark out, it was all underneath it...
 

Tseug

Arachnopeon
Joined
Dec 1, 2011
Messages
3
Hi, this is just something I found wierd in my P. cam enclosure. This "dirt" in her terrarium looks a completely different color to the substrate. Just wanted to nake sure this isn't some type of fungus or mold in the terrarium. It is right next to one of the logs she uses for a hide, between the two.

Thanks, Abyss
I've seen my C. fimbriatus "chew off" corkbark to make room for passing by, which looks similar to what you have there. But most likely, I'd guess one of your feeder insects (mealworm/beetle, etc) has been gnawing on the corkbark or substrate. If you obtained the log from outside without sterilizing, possibly there are termites? In any case, this doesn't look like fungus/mold to me -- just some chewed up corkbark/substrate.
 

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
921
I've seen my C. fimbriatus "chew off" corkbark to make room for passing by, which looks similar to what you have there. But most likely, I'd guess one of your feeder insects (mealworm/beetle, etc) has been gnawing on the corkbark or substrate. If you obtained the log from outside without sterilizing, possibly there are termites? In any case, this doesn't look like fungus/mold to me -- just some chewed up corkbark/substrate.
Got it, awesome. She probably has been trying to make more room behind the bark and is scraping at it (or rubbing it off?) That bark has been sitting around a long time, so it could just be that.
 

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
921
I'd leave her but just keep an eye out. If it's an invert chances are she'll nail it if it comes out. If she goes into shed she should be safe enough.
She had molted only a week or two ago. She seems fine, I just wanted to make sure. I know how mold and fungus are detrimental to arboreals.
 
Top