Weird defence posture

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello, I'm not sure this is a defence posture but ill describe it and maybe someone can tell me what my spider is trying to tell me. This has happened many times when i mist the cage, lift the lid loudly by accident or things of that nautre. As i am misting, which i do far away as her ( 3 inch A.Geniculata juvie) as possible, she will raise up as high as she can on all her legs, tuen around, and take large steps towards me (or where i was spraying). She does not raise her front legs and bear her fangs as ive seen so often. Im not sure if she is just trying to scare me away or tell me to get lost or if she is ready to defend herself by any means necessary which the traditional pose implies with legs in air and fangs showing.

I am nor scared or concerned, just curious.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Mark

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I've seen mine do something similar - and found out that what she was doing was an "aggressive investigation" - if she found nothing out of the sort, she would calm down, but on the few occassions I didn't move my hand or tweezers away fast enough she would slap attack and then go into the classic defense posture, which , I'm sure, would have turned into an attack if I had continued to do what ever it was that was ticking her off. If the ruckus was caused by a food item being dropped she would immediately pounce on it.

Gail

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yah that sounds exactly what mine is doing, im never in there long enough for her to go into the actual defence posture, and she doesnt mind when i drop a cricket in. Interesting to hear they did this, i was unaware.

Mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
My A genic will also *slap attack*, and on more than one occasion, has actually hit my hand with her front feet. However, she does something even more strange.....she will do a *handstand* that is...balance on her 1st 2 pairs of legs, and stick her abdomen in the air, with the last two sets of legs dangling. It looks hysterical, but I'm certain she's not amused!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awesome photos! I loved looking at them all. I assume these are all your spiders? I wont even hold my docile as can be B.Smithi and i see you holding Salmon pink's and A. Geniculata that is cool.

Mark