Weird Day and New Pets

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
So... I was going to purchase my new millipede tommorrow and all that and fate has intervened.

See, I've been at the HASTI conference (Hoosier Association of Science Teachers Inc) and they were doing like a TON of drawings for stuff. Carolina Biologicals made an announcement saying they were doing a drawing of ALL their live specimens and you had to be present to win. Talk about all these science teachers showing up. I signed up because they had some millis and a lovely Chilean Rose Hair and not to mention the butterfly habitat we were eyeballing for camp.

Instead of any of the above, I'm now the proud parent of SEVEN Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. They have a tank but I'm thinking it's not big enough (but a cool tank all the same) and a small book of instructions.

So does anyone have any advice? I'm an Outdoor Environmental Educator and these will be used to educate and to pass around, etc... Sweet natured bugs realy but I do think that the tank is too small.

Nai

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Post a pic of the tank setup, we can tell you whats wrong and whats right by seeing the setup.

As far as care there are alot of sites on hisser care, if you need help with substrate/feeding just say so.

Congrats on the win, anything for free is good. ;)

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
actually info on pros and cons of any of the above stuff is good.

And they're kinda fun. Growing on me quite nicely.

Nai

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greetings LadyNai

I actually only keep my cockroaches long enough to feed them off to my scorpions, but I've been looking to raise them myself.

The enclosure I keep them in for temporary housing is a 2.5 gal tank with newspaper strips and some egg crates (the cardboard kind cut to 4"x4") I keep water in a shallow dish 3/16" deep and feed them vegetables (lettuce, carrots etc) an occasional orange, and some dry cat food.

Like I said above, I've been looking to raise them myself and found this LINK as a reference point on beginning a colony. It lists proper - Temperature - Humidity - Floor Space - Substrate / Bedding - Food and Feeding - Water.

Wish you well, Thaedion. ;)

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could also use peat moss as a substrate, and mist the tank once a day.

Hissers climb so get stuff for them to climb (also good for molting)

Food they'll eat:

dry dog and cat kibble,romaine lettuce,apples,bananas,peaches,raw carrots, (iguana pellets,fruit flavor) (i've also tried giving them moist white bread as a treat, they love it!)

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
Well the literature also said to put a sponge in there. Is this the best thing for water? Or not?

Had a happy time playing with one of the females this morning. They're growing on me. And all the teachers that saw them at the conference were like "oh those are great for classroom pets" LOL

Also, how often do they molt? Just curious there.

Nai

Last edited:

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Well the literature also said to put a sponge in there. Is this the best thing for water? Or not?
Nai

No. All kinds of gross stuff will grow on it. Not even a newborn hisser will drown in a bowl of water if the bowl has any texture to it.

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
Ok so small dish.

I gave em a bit of dog food this morning as it's what I have on hand... Should be ok (I have a spoiled pug too)... Keep on with the tips. I'm loving it.

Nai, though enjoying the roaches, still half wishing she had won that lovely Chilean Rose, but may get one eventually anyway