Weird bulges on sides?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
So I just noticed that one of my flat rocks has these 2 rather large bulges on its sides. It's almost like a blown out hernia or something. The right one is 1 segment in front of the left one which makes it look even more strange since they aren't symmetrical. I don't remember seeing them before so I think they are new. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People have speculated that it's internal parasites, could be several possibilities though. I first-hand witnessed a cause of bulges like on yours. I tried to pair two together and the female gave the male a good pinch. The bulge that caused was only from the pinch. It took several months for it to go away but it finally did. If you've had two together, I'd put odds on that one getting pinched, they tend to go for a body blow sometimes if they can reach it. I have several I keep separate but I do keep three together and there has been no problems. Some just don't get along with other ones though. I put two babies together one time and they immediately starting fighting so fast I couldn't see what was happening, I don't keep babies together.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So I just noticed that one of my flat rocks has these 2 rather large bulges on its sides. It's almost like a blown out hernia or something. The right one is 1 segment in front of the left one which makes it look even more strange since they aren't symmetrical. I don't remember seeing them before so I think they are new. Anyone seen anything like this before?
The substrate you are using could have a lot to do with it, it looks like a damp mix of Coco fiber and wood chips. Trogs should be kept on sandy substrate with smooth rocks/ slates/ tiles that they can squeeze into, and should be kept very hot 30+ Cent. not on a moist substrate. You may find that some of the wood pieces have caused problems with the softer under belly of the scorpion. Sort out the enclosure and the lumps may slowly clear up.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
These are generally wild caught because of slow growth. If the bulges are located near the book lungs then its likely a small-headed fly infestation.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Wow, three very different possible causes, guess it's trickier to figure this out than I thought.

The one obvious one that I can fix relatively easily is by setting their tank up correctly. They were pretty much an impulse buy and I wasn't completely prepared for them so I just used the materials on hand (a spare tank, some coco fiber and a flexwatt heater). The coco fiber is just moist because I started with the compressed block and had to hydrate it. I'm gradually letting it dry out but the tank has a glass lid so it's taking some time. The heated side is completely dry though, this guy just likes hanging out on the cool/wet side for some reason. Regarding their sandy substrate, do you mean just straight sand? Would I be able to mix sand and coco fiber once it dries out? I'll also swap out their log hides for smooth flat rocks as I find them.

Regarding the possibility of pinching, the bulges are on the one that is slightly smaller so I guess that could be. I haven't noticed any kind of aggression between them, but who knows what happens after the lights go out and they get more active. I also didn't have any hides when I first set the tank up, so I'm sure that wasn't helping.

So that just leaves the parasites which from my understanding there isn't really anything I can do about right? I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and hope for the best. If it is small-headed flies then I'm guessing the scorpion dies after they bust their way out?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
People have speculated that it's internal parasites, could be several possibilities though. I first-hand witnessed a cause of bulges like on yours. I tried to pair two together and the female gave the male a good pinch. The bulge that caused was only from the pinch. It took several months for it to go away but it finally did. If you've had two together, I'd put odds on that one getting pinched, they tend to go for a body blow sometimes if they can reach it. I have several I keep separate but I do keep three together and there has been no problems. Some just don't get along with other ones though. I put two babies together one time and they immediately starting fighting so fast I couldn't see what was happening, I don't keep babies together.
Well it seems like this was the correct diagnosis in this case. After the initial post I put a divider in the tank to separate them. I was checking on them yesterday, then walked away for about an hour and a half and when I came back one had somehow climbed onto the other side of the tank and now my little guy has 3 bulges (the 3rd was absolutely not there an hour and half earlier) and he was the most defensive I've ever seen, waving his claws around and pinching at the air like he was Edward Scissorhands. Guess I need to find some better way of dividing the tank.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have several troglodytes I keep separate but I keep three together, they have been together for at least a year. Last night I put another male in that container. It looked to be going OK so I left the room, came back 30 minutes later and saw he got destroyed. It kind of seems like they get to know each other and figure out what not to do to each other and become territorial. Then some stranger comes in and doesn't know what the rules are haha. Some I have just don't seem to get along with others.