Weird acting G. porteri.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello everyone! I am in need of some help! My Grammostla porteri has dragged webbing across the cage, constructed the bones of what looks like a sperm web and I have found it stretched out on the substrate of the cage like a Poecilthoria. It is also not eating, and is climbing the walls of the terrarium. Any suggestions to what might be happening?
Thanks

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello :-s

I think that you posted in the wrong section. Anyway, without pics nor everything, my guess is: you have a mature male.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hello everyone! I am in need of some help! My Grammostla porteri has dragged webbing across the cage, constructed the bones of what looks like a sperm web and I have found it stretched out on the substrate of the cage like a Poecilthoria. It is also not eating, and is climbing the walls of the terrarium. Any suggestions to what might be happening?
Thanks
You might have more luck posting here: http://arachnoboards.com/forums/tarantula-chat.49/

My guess is also that it´s a mature male. Unfortunately they won´t live very long.

Hello :-s

I think that you posted in the wrong section.
I´m amazed that I don´t find the pictures of certain Australian scorpion in this section :D It´s probably the only place that guy didn´t post!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Thanks LXXIX and Townes, I thought about that, but its not full grown, only three and a half inches.
Thank you so much!

cold blood

Staff member
Is there a molt you missed somewhere? Sounds like it may have recently molted, as after a molt is about the only time I see a terrestrial stretching out like that.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Look around the enclosure and see if you can find the old exoskeleton.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sorry about posting in the wrong place, I am brand new.
I also just rehoused it, and its last molt was a few months ago. I haven't seen any exoskeleton either. I will try to get a few pictures.
Thank you so much!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well it was probably dragging web across the enclosure as a sort of drag line. In nature when they wander far from their burrows they leave a trail of silk so that they can find their way back home again. As for the construction, it might have just been depositing web randomly and it jsut happened to make it look like a sperm web. If it's not mature and it's not a male, odds are it's just doing it's tarantula thing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sorry about posting in the wrong place, I am brand new.
I also just rehoused it, and its last molt was a few months ago. I haven't seen any exoskeleton either. I will try to get a few pictures.
Thank you so much!
If there isn't an exuvium (exoskeleton), then it did not molt. Simple as that. They don't eat the exuvium and rarely hide it unless they're a burrower.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You're right klawfran3, and not to disregard you, it does not use his hide and it has never done this before, plus their was three sperm web look-a-likes. I got some pictures of its underside, can anyone sex it? Thanks for all the help!
IMG_5034.JPG IMG_5033.JPG

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Too blurry. Also the enclosure is wayyyyyy too moist. It needs to be absolutely bone dry.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I believe the humidity or heat may have something to do with the climbing. Everyones Porteri/Rosea etc starts acting up in summer as heat gets more intense but that sub is way to damp too

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
From in those pictures this T's fangs look like they are cherry red. He's freshly molted, very freshly

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I rehoused him recently, so the substrate was damp then, but I've dried it out now. I'll have to see if I can find a exuvium.
Thanks All!