Webs?

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I’ve had my Tliltocatl albopilosus for a few days now & things are going well. Members on here have answered my questions brilliantly.
My T has started to make some long lengths of silk/thread around her enclosure. One from the top down to near her hide & another couple between leaves halfway up her tank.
Is she expecting food to land on these lengths of web? They’re completely off the floor.
Thanks!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All normal.

Few things to note, Ts, and spiders, all have the capability to spin different types of silk for different purposes. For example, a common type is used for trip wires, that is they aren't mean to catch prey, but are meant to alert them that SOMETHING is around.

Spider silk is an amazingly diverse protein, look it up. It's one of the strongest natural substances known to man, stronger than steel.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
These are trip wires hooked up to explosives. She’s waiting for you to make the mistake of putting your hands in her enclosure.

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
All normal.

Few things to note, Ts, and spiders, all have the capability to spin different types of silk for different purposes. For example, a common type is used for trip wires, that is they aren't mean to catch prey, but are meant to alert them that SOMETHING is around.

Spider silk is an amazingly diverse protein, look it up. It's one of the strongest natural substances known to man, stronger than steel.
So she’s spun them to feel safe & not to catch food. Her enclosure is quite big so it makes sense.

These are trip wires hooked up to explosives. She’s waiting for you to make the mistake of putting your hands in her enclosure.
I do drop her food in & I also remove her water bowl & make it rain but I keep out of the way of the nearest trip wire. If I accidentally catch it will she run at me?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I do drop her food in & I also remove her water bowl & make it rain but I keep out of the way of the nearest trip wire. If I accidentally catch it will she run at me?
Naw, she shouldn’t run at you, but it is always good practice not to stick your hands hands down in there. My t.albo is pretty food responsive, so I don’t take those risks ha.

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
Naw, she shouldn’t run at you, but it is always good practice not to stick your hands hands down in there. My t.albo is pretty food responsive, so I don’t take those risks ha.
The only reason I do is to maintain her water dish & make it rain lol. When I feed I drop the roach in from a tube & tap the end so that’s no problem.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I made this mistake a few times as a beginner, took me weeks to get all the substrate and webbing off the walls and shelving

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So she’s spun them to feel safe & not to catch food. Her enclosure is quite big so it makes sense.

Ts are primarily ambush predators, not like many true spiders that spin web to catch food, think orb weaver.