Webbing

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:confused: My A. hentzi is webbing ALOT (at least I think so). Is this "normal" for her sp. I searched but couldn't find an answer.
The first pic is an overall view of the KK. She has webbed the entire floor. Even the water dish has some very fine web over the top of it.
The second pic shows the one wall, but all are cover pretty much the same way. Does anyone know why she may be doing this ar is it "normal" behavior?

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Isn't that a burrowing species? Maybe the dirt isn't deep enough to dig in, so it had to adept the whole enclosure as the "burrow"?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Isn't that a burrowing species? Maybe the dirt isn't deep enough to dig in, so it had to adept the whole enclosure as the "burrow"?
Depends on where it is from. The ones here in Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas seem to prefer digging shallow scrapes under rocks whereas the ones down in TX seem to dig burrows more.

It could be getting ready for a molt or possibly laying an egg sac if it is a WC female.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sometimes they'll do that if they don't like the substrate they're on. What are you using for 'strate? It looks suitably dry in the pics but are you sure it's chemical free?

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First off, yes, she does burrow. The pot sitting in the corner is cut in half and she has actually started a burrow inside it. I'd like to make the strat a little deeper so she burrow properly.
Second, I'm not sure if she likes the strat or not. That was one of the reasons I wanted to find out about her webbing. I'm thinking of changing it to bed-a-beast.
Third, yes she is a WC. I caught her about 2 months ago in northern Texas (about 60mi. north of Dallas).

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe she's unhappy because you didn't bother to take the price tag off her home. ;)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And here we can launch into another extended monologue. I'll try to make this brief. :eek:

"Experienced aficionados" strongly suspect that tarantulas kept in a relatively small container assume that it's just a large burrow, and then they try to spin silk all over to reinforce the burrow's walls or carpet their pad.

On the other hand, tarantulas kept in relatively large cages assume they're in the great outdoors and try to burrow.

Tarantulas kept in intermediate sized cages get confused and waffle between both habit patterns, get creative and do something completely different or merely do nothing.

This begs the questions "How do they know how big their container is?" and "How big or small is 'small,' 'intermediate' and 'large'?" We can guess, but it's still all conjecture.

If you're not thoroughly confused by this it's okay. The rest of us are!

Enjoy your silk spinning tarantula!

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And here we can launch into another extended monologue. I'll try to make this brief. :eek:

"Experienced aficionados" strongly suspect that tarantulas kept in a relatively small container assume that it's just a large burrow, and then they try to spin silk all over to reinforce the burrow's walls or carpet their pad.

On the other hand, tarantulas kept in relatively large cages assume they're in the great outdoors and try to burrow.

Tarantulas kept in intermediate sized cages get confused and waffle between both habit patterns, get creative and do something completely different or merely do nothing.

This begs the question "How do they know how big their container is?" and "How big or small is 'small,' 'intermediate' and 'large'?" We can guess, but it's still all conjecture.

If you're not thoroughly confused by this it's okay. The rest of us are!

Enjoy your silk spinning tarantula!

Man, I just love your posts and enjoy reading them. I'm glad you have entered to the boards! :worship:

Cheers,
Bothrops

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That really does not look like an over done effort on the webbing to me. That is right about the amount of webbing my biggest G. rosea has on her enclosure floor.
Your little guy is just making himself at home. Nothing to worry about.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Depends on where it is from. The ones here in Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas seem to prefer digging shallow scrapes under rocks whereas the ones down in TX seem to dig burrows more.

It could be getting ready for a molt or possibly laying an egg sac if it is a WC female.
actually here they are quite opprotunistic. They will dig a scrape under a rock or dig a burrow . if theres plenty fo rocks to hide under thats what they do. if not like in the prairie they dig burrows

substrate dosent make a lot of differance BUT my anax dont like bed a beast at all. even if its bone dry. They do seem to like dry peat tho.
In the wild the substrate varied from near pure sand to sandy loam, to black gumbo to bedrock lol

Last edited:

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would this be bad for a tarantula?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would this be bad for a tarantula?
I have no idea.

For instance, would a confused tarantula be more or less willing to mate? Lions in cages in zoos are notorious for enjoying sex abnormally often, even when there is little possibility for procreation, as a result of preterminal boredom. Who'd a thought? (We would normally have expected the reverse, no?)

If something as well known as a lion can do something that unexpected, what hope have we with something as unconventional as a tarantula?

Enjoy your confused tarantulas!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I just love your posts and enjoy reading them. I'm glad you have entered to the boards! :worship:

Cheers,
Bothrops
Actually, I've been here all along, but my vagabond lifestyle puts some severe constraints on how much I can participate. For instance, visit

http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5525&highlight=motorhome

http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5525&highlight=motorhome

As a result, when I don't have nearly unlimited access to a high speed Internet connection, I preferentially gravitate towards my first allegiance, the ATS message boards. But, I still often check in here just to see what's happening.

It just so happens that now and for the next week we're staying in an RV park in Castlegar, British Columbia that has free, high speed, wireless Internet and it's nearly impossible to get me away from this computer!

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day.
Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.