Web covered floor?

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

This may sound like a dumb question. I've had my little guy for 3 weeks now, and by now the enclosure 'floor' has a very thin coat of webbing on it like a little net. Is this going to bother the spider or the substrate, or anything in the 'environment'? Should I be maintaining this and returning the ground to it's 'soil' top surface? Or do they prefer it with the webbing? I know spiders are ok with the whole walking on web thing, but I just want to make sure it doesn't present a health risk to the spider being in captivity with this building up. I can see that when I put in a cricket, they are sure having a harder time getting around lol. So yea. Comments?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
100% fine tarantulas know what there doing if they decide they don't like it they will rip it up and make a ball of web in the corner not a thing to worry about but now it there climbing the walls and not going on the sunbstarte i got some questions

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
Some T's are extensive webbers. It's just their way of making their enclosure more "homey". I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure to clean out any leftovers from meals. No one likes a messy home. :D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most of my terrestrials have almost completely covered their substrates with silk, some only the corner they rest on.

No worries, your T is making itself a home.

PIG-

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
100% fine tarantulas know what there doing if they decide they don't like it they will rip it up and make a ball of web in the corner not a thing to worry about but now it there climbing the walls and not going on the substrate i got some questions

No issue there it seems, he's perfectly happy being on either. He'll cruise the class, lid, and floor. Sometimes when he cruises the perimeter, he goes at along with 4 side legs on the glass, the other 4 on the substrate, if that makes sense. But he does cruise the floor on all 8's without hesitation also....

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah normal! What kind of tarantula is it? (it dosnt effect the answer but some tarantulas web alot more than others)

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
It's a "Payson Blonde" tarantula, I included a pic. He's got awesome colors, and different shades in different light, it's awesome. Pic doesn't do him justice. :) He's approx. 1.75", and should grow to about 4". Ain't he a beaut!

Attachments

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
Oh, so on the webbing topic, thanks for the input, it makes total sense. Now that I think about it, it would probably just piss him off if I destroyed it and made him start over, wouldn't you think? :)

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
Oh, so on the webbing topic, thanks for the input, it makes total sense. Now that I think about it, it would probably just piss him off if I destroyed it and made him start over, wouldn't you think? :)
That it could ;).

Just out of curiousity, is your T some type of Aphonopelma? I've never heard of it before, which isn't that surprising since I'm pretty new myself.:eek:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is that chunky coconut coir or woodchips? If it's woodchips, get rid of it. If it's chunky coir, it's probably OK, but you should probably get something finer ground next time.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The silk helps to held the substrate in place around its burrow/hide, and acts as an early indicator of prey presence/movement. A thicker mat can also serve as a molting mat.
Like the others said, it's normal, leave it be.

SteelBlitz1

Arachnopeon
Is that chunky coconut coir or woodchips? If it's woodchips, get rid of it. If it's chunky coir, it's probably OK, but you should probably get something finer ground next time.
Actually it is very fine, it's the eco earth soil bricks that you soak and wring out. The pic doesn't really show it well, but is very dry and fine. the webbing on it helps give it the look of inferior substrate. we're good there. :) thanks!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually it is very fine, it's the eco earth soil bricks that you soak and wring out. The pic doesn't really show it well, but is very dry and fine. the webbing on it helps give it the look of inferior substrate. we're good there. :) thanks!
Fair enough! sometimes it's hard to judge by photos! :D
The bags of earth are of an even finer grade, but I never had a problem with the bricks myself. Now I just get the bags because I'm lazy.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The silk helps to held the substrate in place around its burrow/hide, and acts as an early indicator of prey presence/movement. A thicker mat can also serve as a molting mat.
Like the others said, it's normal, leave it be.
+1, this is almost what i was going to say. :)