We think he escaped?

rfyb

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone

We just got this baby jumping spider today. We couldn’t find him after a while and we think he escaped. We took out the log and even looked under the moss and no luck. We have a feeling he escaped through the holes that let the front door slide freely. My girlfriend is pretty sad about it. She thinks he’s either buried himself or really deep in the log and we can’t see him. She thinks we should wait a day and see if he comes out before purchasing another one. I think he’s already escaped. What’s your suggestion?

Attachments

rfyb

Arachnopeon
If there is a way out, a hole big enough for the carapace, it's escaped.
Okay. Where do you think we should go from here? What would he be attracted to if he did escape? Or should we just order a new one?

<edit>

I was thinking we could
keep the baby in this habitat linked above until he molts and gets big enough to go into his nice enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Just going off your photo it looked like you have one of those Zilla knock down acrylic enclosures. Likely far too big for a jumper sling. You might start a sling in something like a 32 oz deli cup. But that enclosure you linked looks good too
I'm sure some jumper experts will come in.

rfyb

Arachnopeon
Just going off your photo it looked like you have one of those Zilla knock down acrylic enclosures. Likely far too big for a jumper sling. You might start a sling in something like a 32 oz deli cup.
I'm sure some jumper experts will come in.
Okay cool. just some substrate in a deli cup. couple branches.

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

rfyb

Arachnopeon
Yeah. I have free range jumpers that roam my T room. It’ll turn up eventually.
Cool. I’ll wait then. I have a feeling it’ll be easier to find him once we open the blinds tomorrow and there’s light

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You’ll probably be sitting there one night, minding your own business, then you’ll see it going across the ceiling.

rfyb

Arachnopeon
You’ll probably be sitting there one night, minding your own business, then you’ll see it going across the ceiling.
We’ll be out of the look out for sure. There’s a lot of hiding places…..

we also set out a sort of water trap. We spray water so he could take a drink. If we see him we’ll trap him

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What’s your suggestion?
LOOK FOR IT :lol: :rolleyes:

Where do you think we should go from here?
Anywhere

What would he be attracted to if he did escape?
Dark spaces

Or should we just order a new one?
If you want to trivialize the life of another animal, especially one that was in your care, sure order another one.

Or, stop what you are doing now because obviously you have some issues with your husbandry. Identify the problems and FIX them BEFORE you get another one. This is not rocket science. Perhaps you aren't meant to care for these animals. I'd like to think most people can improve if they care to do so.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
It’s not impossible to find. It may be a pain, but worth a shot. Anytime someone loses a spider my message is pretty much less typing more looking.

I’ve only kept one jumper, I found it in my yard and kept it for a few days, but felt bad and released it back into the garden after it was well fed. Very smart and inquisitive from what I observed; definitely a cool spood.

Hopefully you find it, but if not you at least know that even the smallest gaps in an enclosure that look impossible to penetrate are open invitations for a stage left.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I never understood the hype about those enclosures. Apart from the flimsy build and the gaping holes, I am just waiting for the first "Rubber bands became brittle and popped - spider escaped" posts on here.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
We’ll be out of the look out for sure. There’s a lot of hiding places…..

we also set out a sort of water trap. We spray water so he could take a drink. If we see him we’ll trap him
Chameleon in the screen cage?

Egon

Arachnosquire
I’ve never kept one but I regularly see them in my yard and enclosed front porch and earlier this year, had one in my house.

In my experience they are drawn to windows (look for them basking when the light’s at its brightest point in the day), houseplants and people!

This big one was on my living room coffee table and when I saw it, it hid and then later climbed on my drinking glass and then on my foot.

A week later it was on the baseboard of my bedroom and climbed up onto the ceiling.

Four days after that, I woke up to find it on my bed right next to my pillow. It then climbed up the curtain behind my bed. (See pics in chronological order.)

Sadly I found it dead under a table a week or two after that.

Attachments

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Where you recommended that enclosure by anyone? A certain YouTuber perhaps? 🧐