We have eggs

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Our Arilus cristatus presented us with a gift this morning, eggs! She laid them in the night. While it is exciting for my daughter to see this stage in her bug's life, I am concerned that the insect will now die.

It is a small clutch and I believe sterile, unless they can mate as nymphs, which I doubt.

So, my question is, do insects who would normally die after laying eggs in the wild die after laying sterile eggs in captivity?

Attachments

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
Fertile eggs or not, the wheel bug probably only has a few months left at most. Even in florida where temperatures remain warm enough for them year-round, adult wheel bugs don't survive through the winter.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As odd as it sounds, congrats on the dud eggs! It's great that your daughter got to see that, makes for a wonderful story and it's pretty much the easiest way to get a kid interested. She probably doesn't have all that much time left. Wheel bugs don't live long after laying unfortunately. Give her a good meal this morning though and enjoy her while she lasts!

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Thanks pannaking, that is what I thought. Interestingly, Enzo (the wheel bug) fasted for about 3 weeks before she ate a cricket and laid the little dud clutch. We thought she was dying then. So this turn of events was exciting.

Last year, our Wheel bug lived well into February, but it was either a male or a female who did not lay.

My daughter wants a Mantis next, so we will look into catching one or buying one come spring!

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
She has moved off the clutch, but has not eaten since laying. It is good to see her moving around again, but our hopes are not high.

On another note, my four year old son asked if we can cut her open to see what is inside her, after she dies. At first he said that he hopes she pops open when she dies....lol I might have to get him a dissection book for Christmas.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
She took water later this afternoon, sure hate to see her wither away, so I am happy she drank :)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
It's super nice when kids are so interested. I wish my mom wasn't afraid of exotics and got me various biology books and helped me with my fascination when i was younger. You're doing AWESOME job @Praxibetelix :)

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Just a quick update:

Enzo is still alive! She took food and more water. We will continue to monitor her health and appetite. While this is exciting for us, everyone still understands that she could die at any time.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Sad news, Enzo died today. We are going to pin her so my daughter can keep her for as long as she wants. Perhaps we will get some Dominoes this spring!