We got babies today!!!

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, we rescued a pair of hissing cockroaches from our local pet store a while ago. They said they were both male, because the place they get them from only sends out one sex to prevent people from breeding them. Ha. That was a laugh.

One of them looked especially fat and my husband and I both thought the same thing. She's gravid. So we got online and found out how to sex them and sure enough she was a female and the other was a male. We have had them for about a month now.

Martha (that's big mamma's name) kept getting fatter and fatter, so we took extra special care of her. I misted her tank day before yesterday, but was in a hurry and didn't inspect things. Well, my husband went to put fresh food in a few min. ago and saw what appeared to be "rollie pollies" in her tank. Then it hit him, BABIES!!

Hurray! we counted twenty live ones. They are so cute. But, we have never had baby hissers so do any of you have any advice for us? We took them out of mamma's tank and put them in a deli cup with a little substrate and one of those "orange cubes" from flukers that we feed our crickets. We were afraid they would drown if we gave them water.

Just had to share. here are a few pics.

Ali

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a picture of big mamma Martha and you can see a few of the babies in the background.

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very cool... congrats. I have never seen anyone so excited over cock roaches but to each their own :) I would like to get a few cock roaches but they are not aloud in my house.. haha. Enjoy!

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know, LOL cockroaches..... but, these are our very first "baby" anythings that were born in our care. I just cant help it. LOL Must be maternal instincts kicking in.

Hopefully we will have other kinds of babies soon too. Still waiting on our millies to breed. And we just bread two of our T's, so hopefully we will have a full blown nursery around here before long.

And they are just so cute!

Ali

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lol, I still remember how I felt when I saw my first pinheads...
Such a feeling....
Will you give those roaches to your T's?;P

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr

Will you give those roaches to your T's?;P
This was a matter of some debate. But, I won, so no we wont. Since this is our first batch, and John and Martha (the parents) are pets and were purchased stricktly as pets, I want to keep the first batch of babies as pets as well. I had to solemnly swear that I would use any future babies as T. food.

But the first litter gets to live!:D

Ali

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, congrats with the little "hissers"

May i ask how much did you pay for the parents ?,...
I wonna sell some of my hissers and don't know how much i have got to ask.

greetz

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I paid $3.00 for the parents. We are super awsome best customers though, and he gave them to us buy one get one free. Most places I have seen them they were $3-$5.

Ali