We found a leech

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
im having a hard time figuring out what species, i want to keep it, found in O'Fallon illinois, in a small flooded area in the mud. He's big and black.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice, that’s one big leech. I wish I could say I like all invertebrates but these things do creep me out a bit.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
He's cool in my eyes, I want to keep him, I just need to know what species.. I only won't keep him if I have to feed him my blood.. I dont wanna do that.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it could be a horse leech,and in that case they feed on on earthworms and such.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im having a hard time figuring out what species, i want to keep it, found in O'Fallon illinois, in a small flooded area in the mud. He's big and black.
so were we w/out a picture, amazing how a picture gives faster answers than trying to read someone's mind- crazy I know.

feed your blood.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
This does appear to be a horse leech, which means that it will feed on earthworms and other soft bodied prey by swallowing them whole rather than sucking blood.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Looking at the pictures of horse leeches, he seems to have more stripes and i personally see no green hue. But the size seems right, though hes not as fat. I put an earth worm in with him, he ignored it