we decided that we'll get a pulchra

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since Suzie's passing, we want to get a new T, and decided on a pulchra, which we will be ordering from Ken (the bug guy).

I've been reading up on how to care for them, but I don't understand something. I used the search function, and didn't have much luck getting an answer.

according to http://www.tarantulacages.com/gpulchracare.html, it says that the humidity has to be between 60-80%. However, I am unsure of how to keep track of the humidity. Does it always have to be between 60 and 80% all the time?

Does this mean I have to always mist them/keep their substrate damp?

Thanks for helping. Just want to make sure their home will be set up right :)

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lower humidity, it doesnt rain much in summer time where they live so keep it about 60%

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
not a 00% sure but i think pretty much just keep them the same as g.rosea?:?

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, thanks for responses, but never mind. After searching, I found this thread http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145819&highlight=keeping+track+humidity and most people said they would be fine with just their water dish, which is what I thought in the first place. I know Suzie was always ok with just her water dish and didn't like water anywhere else.

Why do sites say that the humidity needs to be a certain amount if most Ts do just fine with a water dish?

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why do sites say that the humidity needs to be a certain amount if most Ts do just fine with a water dish?
Because those websites aren't made by the smart people of arachnoboards.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ime

Shypoet, My first two G. pulchra slings were kept faintly on the moist side and fed more than the current 3 little ones. I've cut back on the feeding, kept the enclosures drier, and started the latter slings with a shallow 1/2 filled water cap earlier on in their development- somewhere between 1" and 1.25". They seem to be much livelier and look better between molts than the first two. The first two "rode" the sides of the enclosure much more often than these do now due to the dampness of the sub- and it was only slightly damp. To put it in a nutshell, it appears they begin prefering dry conditions fairly early.

Terry

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
alright, thanks. Suzie's substrate was something called Zilla jungle mix, which is pretty much just peat moss, and she loved it. She was a G. rosea

We miss her :(

When we had Suzie, we also looked for 100% peat moss at Lowe's and couldn't find it, even with the employee help. I'd really love for the new T to just have 100% peat moss just in case they don't like the Zilla mix stuff.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Shypoet, Make sure you try outside in the garden department. The large, square plastic-covered bales are usually in the vicinity of topsoil, soil conditioners etc. :D

webbedone

Arachnobaron
yeap, i have a g rosie now and i am a mommy for a 1.5" G.pulchra spiderling i have them both on eco earth coconut fiber and they both seemed to enjoy it as far as humity goes i wouldnt worry about it, i have digital thermometer/hygrometer in the enclosures and with just the water dish humidity fluctuates around 60% or so

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Hygrometers are just an eye sore.

pulchra like dry sub so no worries. Just a water dish is good. Slings will need half the deli misted every time it dries out. Dont be fooled by the thread you read. Its not the end all to keep the sub dry for all Ts. IMO thats a load of Horse Dirt. There are sp. that require high humidity. If you want to know how to keep a certain T look up the region its from and look at annual rainfall humidity and temperature. Most care sheets are not too bad but i dont trust them one bit. All it takes to screw up a caresheet is one false fact, idea or mixup. :wall:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine are on dry sub with a water bowl, your T should be fine.

PIG-

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats! I just got 2 mature females pulchras today. I have to say I'm amazed at the size difference between them and G roseas. The Pulchras are huge.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My was +18cm:) when i sold it
Wow! That's over 7". Way cool. I'll try to measure mine whenever I get the chance. Having never seen a pulchra in person before today, I must say I'm impressed with their bulk.