we are in the peak days of our hobby!

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you know I was thinking today...we are probably in the best days of the tarantula/invert hobby ever - we have widespread acsess to species that were only dreamt of years ago - we can go out and buy exotic spiders,centipedes and scorpions ranging from practically harmless Chilean Rose hair tarantulas to deadly scorpions like Yellow Fattails and Deathstalkers...

But you know what my friends? I bet you that these days are gonna come to and end someday - I was thinking that sooner or later the goverment is going to get interested in what we are up to with our crazy little hobby and they are going to decide to regulate it to protect ourselves for our own good.I can just see it happening.All it is going to take really is somebody getting nailed good by a hot scorp or pede and if it makes it to the news we are all going to be screwed.They will ban the importation and sale of "Dangerous invertebrate animals" yup.....

enjoy the hobby while you can!!!!!!!

Dont get bit

The Evil Spider Hunter

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I happen to dissagree, if this were the case take a look at the reptile world. In Arizona we are allowed to catch and keep many of the HOT snake that live here. The Government hasnt stoped us from doing that. In Texas you are allowed to own almost all crocadilia, Vipers, Cobras, ect,ect. These are great times, and im sure they are years and years from being over.

If you take a look at the modern pet trade, how often do you read or hear of someone being bitten and killed or attacked by a dog? Almost weekly. However there are no recorded deaths from bite by tarantulas. So I think we have nothing to fear.

Sincerely,

Brandon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Damn it John.. can you just put your bitterness on the shelf for a DAY once in a while :p

Why assume this is the end?

Bill

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Geez...you dont have to bust my a--

I didnt say the end was near, just that I think it is indeed possible that the day may come when this hobby will be far more regulated than what it is today.I mean practically anybody can go and buy a YellowFattail or some other highly venomous invert and I bet it is only a matter of time before some dingleberry gets stuck by one and it ends up on the six oclock news...

And then the gov'ment will take a closer look at what is going on and they will decide to make it more restrictive or outright prohibit the purchase or keeping of some of the animals we are cheerfully sharing our bedrooms with...

I know for certain that if the management of my apartment building caught wind of what I have in my apartment I bet they would just freak out.Scorpions? Spiders? theyre would be no explaining the difference between a relatively harmless African RedClaw scorp and a Deathstalker...they would probably want me to get rid of all of them.

So I am not being BITTER Bill....sheesh..stop it...you are sort of pissing me off a little now!!! sheeeeeeshhh...

Dont get bit

The Evil Spider Hunter

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't ever get me started on dog attacks and the media! Bastards take any mix breed and try to lable it a pitbull. I bet you guys didn't know that the dog that causes the most bites requiring medical attetion is a damn cocker spaniel!!!

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry,
I defentally didnt mean for it to come across like I was busting your a-s, or to piss you off i was mearly stating the facts. Everything in the future will be more regulated, thats just the way its going to be, one again sorry hopefully no harm done.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh I am ok Brandon

Im not mad at all..just some thoughts that I was mulling over today...thinking about the invert hobby and such....but I am gonna get ready for bed now so you guys can hash this out without me for tonite...Ive said my piece !!!!!!!!!!

Dont get Bit

;) The Evil Spider Hunter

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I don't agree

I think the hobby is ascending. I think it will peak when T's aren't so foreign to the public in general; when T's are common in most pet shops - and well cared for; when you don't have to search for comprehensive care sheets; when you see more T's on TV with correct portrayals and information; it will take efforts from us to see our hobby peak.

Most of my friends & family think it's strange that I'm keeping T's, but when they see and learn about them, they all have had very positive input. A female friend of mine is SCARED of spiders and after she saw my collection thought they "are so cute.!" She's intrigued now and always asks questions. We need to share them with friends & family, correct the wrongs we see in our neighborhood pet shops, and share knowledge on forums like this. At worst we're at a plateau, but I don't thinks we're peaked and I don't see any problems ahead with regulation.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can see where Spider Hunter is coming from.....The "hot" species aren't really dangerous for a responsible person but wait till some 14 year old who has a rosie or emp. scorpion gets on the net and has a parent order a Deathstalker or a Pokie and is teasing the animal or using the animal to tease a friend/younger sibling and someone gets bit/stung. Because of the exotic nature of the pet and arachnophobia its a big media story. Nobody is going to question the fact that a parent just buys the animal for their kid without any education and no one will tell the truth behind how the incident takes place and then we are all evil people breeding, trading, selling and buying deadly dangerous animals that place our family and neighbors in danger. They will try to regulate it to "protect the children". We live in a society where people will gladly hand over their personal freedoms in exchange for the government to protect morons from themselves.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
.................We live in a society where people will gladly hand over their personal freedoms in exchange for the government to protect morons from themselves.........................

I guess that about sums it up.:(

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Buspirone & Sunnymarcie

Would you guys hand over your freedom to own your inverts? I assume you're old enough to vote? I will not hand over a damn thing - I'll be heard through my votes. We're in a democracy so we all have power in a vote.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Johnny, my buddy, my pal, all the more reason to buy all the Ts you can get your hands on RIGHT NOW!!! :D We need to stop reminiscing about the good ole days!!!!

I called my insurance agent to get a new quote on homeowners ins...he asked me some questions and then told me he didn't have a company that would insure me BECAUSE I OWNED A DOBERMAN PINSCHER!!! And yes, the Cocker Spaniel was #1 on their non-insurable list. Stereo-typing sucks, my Dobie wouldn't hurt a flea, but my German Shepherd has nipped at many-o-butt of neighbor kids wrestling in the house with my kids!

When it comes to the great government of ours... I only have one thing to say: ;P

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Buspirone & Sunnymarcie

Originally posted by D-Man
Would you guys hand over your freedom to own your inverts? I assume you're old enough to vote? I will not hand over a damn thing - I'll be heard through my votes. We're in a democracy so we all have power in a vote.
Thats a very idealistic belief you have there but not very rational or realistic. Even if the number of invert enthusiasts tripled overnight we wouldn't have the voting power to stop legislative action against the hobby. I'm a firm believer in the second amendment and the NRA is one of the biggest lobbyists in Washington and the gun grabbers are still slowly undermining the constitution of the United States. Now an attack on this hobby wouldn't likely be on a federal level but come in a state by state law level so our numbers would be divided even more. I never said I would hand over anything but in general thats what the majority of the people in this country do instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
I can see where Spider Hunter is coming from.....The "hot" species aren't really dangerous for a responsible person but wait till some 14 year old who has a rosie or emp. scorpion gets on the net and has a parent order a Deathstalker or a Pokie and is teasing the animal or using the animal to tease a friend/younger sibling and someone gets bit/stung. Because of the exotic nature of the pet and arachnophobia its a big media story. Nobody is going to question the fact that a parent just buys the animal for their kid without any education and no one will tell the truth behind how the incident takes place and then we are all evil people breeding, trading, selling and buying deadly dangerous animals that place our family and neighbors in danger. They will try to regulate it to "protect the children". We live in a society where people will gladly hand over their personal freedoms in exchange for the government to protect morons from themselves.
I happen to agree with this. Most people don't even know that there are different species of spiders, let alone tarantulas and scorpions. You have no idea how many times I've been asked "there are actually different species???"

All it takes is a big incident of bad bite or sting in a situation described above and arachnophobics will come up our a$$es with all kinds of lame excuses. The general public will assume that there is only one kind of tarantula.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
The danger to this activity (as well as others is quite real). For instance there is currently in effect a section of the New York City Health Code which makes T keeping illegal. Section 161.01 bans keeping animals that are ''wild, ferocious, fierce, dangerous or naturally inclined to do harm.'' An offender could be fined up to $2,000.

How vague is that? It has been applied Ts, ferrets, iguanas and any snake that can grow to more than 4'.

Now I don't of any instance where this has been enforced but obviously rules out being a reptile or T importer/breeder in NYC.

As far as I am concerned this ruling is right up there with the ban on sales of turtles < 4".

I hate being protected from myself......

Jeff

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
God forbid you should ride a motorcycle without a helmet in California... YOU COULD HURT YOURSELF! The government says so...:mad:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe the reason we have so many stupid people in this country is because of all the rediculous safety laws and warnings. We no longer have a process of natural selection to weed out the morons before they can breed and increase their numbers. If you aren't bright enough to not stick your hand into a lawnmower while its running then you deserve the nick name "stumpy".

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ROFLOL! Also, the breakdown of the family unit in America has caused many, many children to be raised by their peers, who WANT them to do stupid things. Why, when I was a kid.....

Seriously, though, it is our responsibility as voters to continue to support any and all legislation designed to preserve and support our hobby, tarantulas and their natural habitat, and as far as I'm concerned, anything that will prevent stupid humans from the continuous destruction of the planet!

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Re: Re: Buspirone & Sunnymarcie

Originally posted by Buspirone
Thats a very idealistic belief you have there but not very rational or realistic. Even if the number of invert enthusiasts tripled overnight we wouldn't have the voting power to stop legislative action against the hobby.
And you're rational & realistic? Sounds like a loser belief system you have, to me. You're giving up before there's even a fight; I think you're talking about yourself and don't even realise it; you're comparing a gun to a T - apples & oranges, my friend. I don't think Joe Thug will use a T to rob, rape, or kill.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D And I don't take my guns and show them off to elementary school children!!!:D

I AM SO SORRY, I JUST COULD NOT RESIST THAT ONE!!!!!