Wc

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been thinking about this subject for quite a long time now, and I have found now reason to take animals out of the wild except to start off ONE pair in captivity, other than that, it is not necessary. I have been to many countries in central america where you will see a lush rainforest and then a whole bunch of burning bush and coffee plants right next to them. If you buy WC animals then you are supporting people who make a living off destroying (in effect) the world. I don't know if any of you guys have seen Planet Earth but man that really got me inspired. In 20 years there will be no more WC because there will be no more wild T's or reptiles. For instance take pokies, they have been collected and collected that they may not see 2010(got this info from swifts and from various other places). but we as a community can stop this by buying from people who support CB T's. By doing this you can get good animals and support CB breeders.I also people need to see the world to appreciate how much diversity and how much life there is to fully understand what I am saying, there is still a lot to save. This was just on my mind and I am ranting so take it for what you will.:wall:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been thinking about this subject for quite a long time now, and I have found now reason to take animals out of the wild except to start off ONE pair in captivity, other than that, it is not necessary. I have been to many countries in central america where you will see a lush rainforest and then a whole bunch of burning bush and coffee plants right next to them. If you buy WC animals then you are supporting people who make a living off destroying (in effect) the world. I don't know if any of you guys have seen Planet Earth but man that really got me inspired. In 20 years there will be no more WC because there will be no more wild T's or reptiles. For instance take pokies, they have been collected and collected that they may not see 2010. but we as a community can stop this byt buying from people who support CB T's. By doing this you can get good animals and support CB breeders. This was just on my mind and I am ranting so take it for what you will.:wall:

Even with our Captive breeding, the W/C collecting will never stop. There is too much money into it for it to just stop. Even protected species like B.smithi still get collected and smuggled out of mexico.

They KNOW people will buy, so they take. It's a supply and demand thing.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what i'm saying is that, if people don't buy them then the people won't take them from the wild. but you are correct in saying that there will always be someone collecting.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If its not a protected species i dont see a problem(if its on a small scale and you breed the WC then continue to breed their offspring), take what you need and captive breed them then work from there. If there a protected species then I dont believe they should be taken if its against the law.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes but even then, there will always be a certain number of animals in the wild. Tarantulas are lucky in that they can produce a lot of spiderlings. Other animals like reptiles and amphibians aren't so lucky.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most people on these boards would purchase CB over WC unless theres really no other option available, for the most part. But for every person on these boards, there are others that just go into stores and purchase them, and there is more WC than CB because they need to get adults fast to meet the demand (which is actually rising for T's).

We can't stop it though I think most people here do agree with your sentiment. The only time I purchase WC is if Im looking for something that I can't find CB. Both because CB seem to look better IMO (always seem more vibrant and such), and also since they are usually better chance of being healthy. The affecting the wildlife aside (which I also do support 100%).

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes i agree its much better the wild Ts and other animals die from deforestation due to demand for rare rainforest woods than from overcollecting ... i think.
To be honest and it may sound defeatist. i dont think that collecting the specimines is as big of a deal as the environemt damage we do. People have been collecting tarantulas in South america for longer than anyone knows and eating them ....have you seen how many they eat? or at least kill and cook? i dont think the world wide hobby can touch the amount of tarantulas taken out of the wild that has been done by people eating the Ts lol

but to comment on your post directly there are other reasons.
1) to get species that are not in the hobby , into the hobby
2) to gather enough pairs to have a sustainable gene pool
3) to refresh said gene pool
these shoudl be good valid reasons. I dont see any way to argue those unless you say there shouldnt be any in the hobby, in which case what are you doing on AB? lol

I also dont see buying a species to keep that you can collect on your own in your locale.
but then thats me lol

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most people on these boards would purchase CB over WC unless theres really no other option available, for the most part. But for every person on these boards, there are others that just go into stores and purchase them, and there is more WC than CB because they need to get adults fast to meet the demand (which is actually rising for T's).

We can't stop it though I think most people here do agree with your sentiment. The only time I purchase WC is if Im looking for something that I can't find CB. Both because CB seem to look better IMO (always seem more vibrant and such), and also since they are usually better chance of being healthy. The affecting the wildlife aside (which I also do support 100%).
I agree, I always look for CB over WC, but I dont rule WC out completely

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes I agree in that we should take what we need and leave the rest, but i don't see that happening anywhere. theres not much i can do myself but everyone could make some impact. If you guys are all right with WC then fine but i'm not.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm done ranting, I was just frustrated at the direction our planet is taking thats all.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
people arent saying they are all about wc or anything like that. But even if every single person on this board never bought WC again, it would honestly not make a difference. Thats all that people are pointing out. And also the fact of the matter is, its the destruction to their homes thats the real problem, not collecting them. Destruction kills INFINITELY more animals than collection does, so that should be the main focus (which it is for the most part).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm done ranting, I was just frustrated at the direction our planet is taking thats all.
I agree, around the age 16 I began getting fustrated how we(humans) can let our planet go in this direction.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
people arent saying they are all about wc or anything like that. But even if every single person on this board never bought WC again, it would honestly not make a difference. Thats all that people are pointing out. And also the fact of the matter is, its the destruction to their homes thats the real problem, not collecting them. Destruction kills INFINITELY more animals than collection does, so that should be the main focus (which it is for the most part).
yea, STOP TEARING DOWN FORESTS to build malls and stuff....the world can live without alot of stuff.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah im also very frustrated with how the world does things. But lets face it, we arent going to stop, we are going to keep building things. What needs to be done is more conservation of what we have left while realizing other parts are going to be lost, it's inevitable. Hopefully we can work towards that goal though.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes it is the destruction of habitat that is the root of their problems. but we aren't doing them any good by collectingthem, its like we're finishing them off, giving them the final blow. But as long as we humans are happy, thats all that matters right guys.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes it is the destruction of habitat that is the root of their problems. but we aren't doing them any good by collectingthem, its like we're finishing them off, giving them the final blow. But as long as we humans are happy, thats all that matters right guys.
not exactly, but maybe im an idiot but since we know we are going to destroy the habitat and make it impossible for them to live in the wild, wouldnt it make sense to have as many in captivity as possible?
anyway. its a shame that we have to choose between what people need or want and what wildlife needs . God said be fruitfull and multiply , and occupy the earth but He never said to use it up ....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not exactly, but maybe im an idiot but since we know we are going to destroy the habitat and make it impossible for them to live in the wild, wouldnt it make sense to have as many in captivity as possible?
anyway. its a shame that we have to choose between what people need or want and what wildlife needs . God said be fruitfull and multiply , and occupy the earth but He never said to use it up ....

Maybe "God" is planning an extinction of the human race?

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes that is one way to think of it, and maybe it will be that we have more in captivity than there is in the wild....:clap:

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been thinking about this subject for quite a long time now, and I have found now reason to take animals out of the wild except to start off ONE pair in captivity, other than that, it is not necessary. I have been to many countries in central america where you will see a lush rainforest and then a whole bunch of burning bush and coffee plants right next to them. If you buy WC animals then you are supporting people who make a living off destroying (in effect) the world. I don't know if any of you guys have seen Planet Earth but man that really got me inspired. In 20 years there will be no more WC because there will be no more wild T's or reptiles. For instance take pokies, they have been collected and collected that they may not see 2010(got this info from swifts and from various other places). but we as a community can stop this by buying from people who support CB T's. By doing this you can get good animals and support CB breeders.I also people need to see the world to appreciate how much diversity and how much life there is to fully understand what I am saying, there is still a lot to save. This was just on my mind and I am ranting so take it for what you will.:wall:
ONE pair, eh? And, when the wild is gone, and there are no more wild specimens left, and all of the existing specimens in captivity are decended from that ONE pair, with their limited genetic base...then what? With simple animals like spiders, it probably won't matter much, but what about the "higher" animals, the vertebrates, like mammals and reptiles? Something ELSE to "inspire" you...

pitbulllady