Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

WC vs CB

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JLPicard, Dec 15, 2015.

1. JLPicard

JLPicard Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Is there a way to find out whether my B. Albopilosum is wc or cb?

2. natebugman

natebugman Arachnoknight Old Timer

Since all Brachypelma species are protected under CITES, I would assume that your albopilosum is captive bred unless it was illegally collected.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

genus Brachypelma = CITES Protected.

I don't know now how that works in Belgium, but here in Italy you can't joke with that. There's an arachnid ban here... well, listen to this: you can have here 500+ T's, from every corner of the world, at your home. It's a thing.

But if you have a CITES Protected one, without the papers that prove that the specimen you own is a CB one, and the wildlife CITES department spot that, it's 'night time'. Euro. Lots of Euro.

As for your question, i think only the seller (or the person that sold you the T) could answer to that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JLPicard

JLPicard Arachnosquire

Thanks! I thought CITES only impacted quotas and restriced wc trade. I had no idea this made capturing them completely illegal.

5. Angel Minkov

Angel Minkov Arachnobaron

So its basically impossible, as said papers don't exist... Bummer LOL

6. Chris LXXIX

You need the paper here; the paper that proves that 'your' CITES animal/s you have (doesn't matter arachnids now, all CITES ones) isn't/aren't a WC one, but CB. Without that, it's an hell of Euro cash to pay and a sue.

The genus Brachypelma T's you buy here in authorized T's fairs have that paper, if not (very rare but) better don't.

7. Angel Minkov

Angel Minkov Arachnobaron

So there are papers for all animals, even for arachnids. That's cool, as breeders don't sell their animals with papers stating their stock is CB/WC.

8. Chris LXXIX

I can tell you this. I've heard once in a forum here a discussion talking about those who breed (arachnid example now) genus Brachypelma. If i remember well, one proved the result of his breeding (meaning slings :O ) to his region CITES wildlife authorities -- otherwise those papers would only considered... a normal piece of paper.

In those papers there's date, name/surname of the seller and customer, date of slings etc i mean... things like that :)

However, bottom line here in Italy is: better to have those if you have a CITES one animal/invert (and they spot you, of course) otherwise you would be considered like a protected animal smuggler.

This only for (T's) CITES ones, of course, not for all T's. I remember also a man that, during the first day of arachnid ban, was in troubles MORE for the lack of CITES papers for three "Brachys" rather than the "Baboon" army etc.

---------- Post added 12-15-2015 at 12:46 PM ----------

Sorry if i'm OT a little, JLPicard, i post here a discussion about genus Brachypelma and CITES papers in Italy:

http://forum.aracnofilia.org/topic/8750-spiderling-di-brachypelma-con-cites/

User 00xyz00 (comment N°12) explain that :)

9. Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Exoskeleton Invertebrates Arachnoprince Old Timer

I know that Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua has been recently in the hobby as wild caught, why?

• Like Like x 1
  10. According to the CITES site itself that does seem to be the case.
    "Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled. It also includes so-called "look-alike species", i.e. species whose specimens in trade look like those of species listed for conservation reasons (see Article II, paragraph 2 of the Convention). International trade in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting of an export permit or re-export certificate. No import permit is necessary for these species under CITES (although a permit is needed in some countries that have taken stricter measures than CITES requires). Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild. (See Article IV of the Convention)"
    Source: https://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.php

That seems to infer that WC stock could technically be obtained. It makes me wonder if it's just more trouble than it's worth to most importers.

Anecdotally, here in California, I occasionally see Brachypelma sp. pop up on adoption sites that have been confiscated from would-be smugglers.

11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

No there is not.

• Award Award x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.