WC supposedly damon variegatus ID

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Hi guys, I’m new here. Just got this supposedly Damon variegatus with red pedipalps. Could it be a diadema? The seller wasn’t sure about him and it’s half grown. Will these red pedipalps eventually turn black?
This is a head scratcher. Only thing I can say with any kind of certain is that it's not Variegatus.

Likely Medius but not 100%

Necromonkey

Arachnopeon
This is a head scratcher. Only thing I can say with any kind of certain is that it's not Variegatus.

Likely Medius but not 100%
That’s interesting, the seller did say collected from east africa and this is one of the bigger one in the same batch he sold in attachment. He also did say it was bigger than his diademas.

Attachments

Necromonkey

Arachnopeon
Good to know. What are the telling characteristics to look out for to differentiate between the species? Are there any resources threads for that? Would love to learn it all.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Good to know. What are the telling characteristics to look out for to differentiate between the species? Are there any resources threads for that? Would love to learn it all.
Not so much, the problem is that Medius are widespread and come in a lot of forms. Amblypygi.org is a great resource for seeing different species.

A sure fire way to identify Medius is that they've got two "stripes" on their leg - I see on yours they have 2 tan stripes and 1 red, where my confusion comes from. Veriagatus seems more stout

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Not so much, the problem is that Medius are widespread and come in a lot of forms. Amblypygi.org is a great resource for seeing different species.

A sure fire way to identify Medius is that they've got two "stripes" on their leg - I see on yours they have 2 tan stripes and 1 red, where my confusion comes from. Veriagatus seems more stout
Medius often seems to have faint reddish stripe as well - or many medius in the hobby are mislabelled variegatus group specimens.