ways to fix a mesh lid for exo terra?

celestiaiiove

Arachnopeon
hey everyone, my t got her foot stuck in a mesh exo terra lid. luckily i watched it happen and was able to help so she didnt fall or hurt herself. shes been so active lately at night time the last week. any suggestions on how to fix this? i saw the suggestion of an adding an acrylic slate to the top but she would get no ventilation and suffocate right? any other ideas? honestly going to go purchase a new enclosure if i cant find a solution

Hi
you remove the mesh and change it with acrylic and drill(melt) holes in it.I use 2mm thick acrylic and melt holes using soldering iron.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

mellow

Arachnobaron
Find a sheet of plastic or acrylic (it doesn't have to be clear) and cut it to fit in the top (where the mesh is located), and then drill or melt a ton of holes in the sheet of plastic for ventilation, and then cut out the mesh from the lid and replace it with the sheet of plastic you just drilled holes in, you can use aquarium safe silicone to attach it to the lid. 😃

Konstantin you beat me to it. Lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
I made this video 3 years ago. There's NO need to remove the mesh. A thin sheet piece of perspex will fit in front of the mesh in the recess. All you'll have to do is cover the top of the exo terra whilst the silicone cures for 24 hours (not in the same room as the tarantula).

I'm pretty if you didn't mind damaging the mesh you could use another piece of perspex outside and use small nuts and bolts to fasten them together so you got an instant fix.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I made this video 3 years ago. There's NO need to remove the mesh. A thin sheet piece of perspex will fit in front of the mesh in the recess. All you'll have to do is cover the top of the exo terra whilst the silicone cures for 24 hours (not in the same room as the tarantula).

I'm pretty if you didn't mind damaging the mesh you could use another piece of perspex outside and use small nuts and bolts to fasten them together so you got an instant fix.

Simple, yet effective. I like it. Will do this instead of removing the mesh on my next ones.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hey everyone, my t got her foot stuck in a mesh exo terra lid. luckily i watched it happen and was able to help so she didnt fall or hurt herself. shes been so active lately at night time the last week. any suggestions on how to fix this? i saw the suggestion of an adding an acrylic slate to the top but she would get no ventilation and suffocate right? any other ideas? honestly going to go purchase a new enclosure if i cant find a solution
Drill holes in the acrylic!