Ways to feed 20+ Slings?

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone have any ideas? Ive tried the plastic bag with a slit in a corner n just walk em into the cage.. but i get like 6 crics in 1 cage and 2 in another.. Any ideas with a good way to feed em?

Ian

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Anyone have any ideas? Ive tried the plastic bag with a slit in a corner n just walk em into the cage.. but i get like 6 crics in 1 cage and 2 in another.. Any ideas with a good way to feed em?

Ian
Um for slings pin heads but of course you know that. Another way they will eat dead crickets, tie to a string and wiggle to make it seem like its real. If you want live. I don't get your question though, please rephrase.

Just pick up a cricket and drop it in the cage with the sling.

Heard to answer something you can't understand. :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I UNDERSTAND!! 9 nervous little slings and 100 jumping, hopping crix makes feeding time a NIGHTMARE!:(

I have been keeping my pinheads in a 20 fl. oz. plastic soda bottle without the lid on. (They can't hop out of it.) I put in a few slivers of thinly sliced carrot if I don't use them up right away. I put all my sling enclosures in a row, then turn the bottle on it's side, and they kind of line up like ants. You can then tap one or two in to each enclosure. I usually let two or three fall into each enclosure as all my slings are BIG PIGGIES!:D

I've tried just about EVERYTHING else, and this method seems to suit me fine.... so far.... until something better comes up!=D

And if you have cats, store the bottle in a closed cabinet or something... my BuddyCat has learned to play "Spin The bottle!":mad:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8987&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

ernie has a pretty solid method.

also, take a 20 oz pop bottle and drill/burn a hole in the lid big enouh for a cricket to slip out of (dependingon the size of the cricket your feeding) and then put however many crickets in the pop bottle, put the lid on and then shake out what you need.. it works pretty good, once you get used to flipping your wrist back when one comes out --

do a couple practice runs, and then its as easy as knowing when to flip the bottle back up so only 1 goes it!

but i don't know how big your slings are?

are they 20+ of the same species?
did you open an eggsac?

are these really small?
depends on the size i suppose!

alright
peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Cool Dave, synchronized posting!!!:D

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man, that's been happening so much to me lately!

its wierd, you go to post and it says "0 replies" and then you go back to check and 3 people have posted or something ;)

peace
dave

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Their the L. Parahybana slings i got from that contest on here, Their about 1/2 inch, so i dont wanna freak em out n dump 6 crics on em at once..

Last edited:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just started caring for slings myself but I got sick of the pinheads real quick(first feeding) so I started pulling the legs off the adult crickets I feed to my larger spiders. I'll probably freeze and chop up larger crickets later on. I also plan to cut mealworms in half and I got beefheart(40 cubes for 3.99 at the petstore).

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea.. i got tired of pinheads when i got my first sling.. But these guys are so TINY.. once they molt 1-2 times ill be able to feed them 3 week old crics n such..

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't use pinheads either. What I tend to do is just rip adult crickets into bits and then put them in the enclosures. In a couple days, I remove any leftovers and put in fresh cricket bits.

Cheers,
Dave

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive seen Freeze dried crics at petco whenever i buy crics.. but i never buy em.. they any good for choppin up n feeding to slings?

Ian

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, man, they're tiny guys...

in that case, I feed "drumsticks' of large crickets to my really small guys.. ive found that a couple of them are cool with chopped up mealworm, but some wont touch it..

chopped up crickets work too.. if you cut em in a good spot, they'll still be moving around a bit (for a little while at least), and you got that going for you, unless they run away :)

good luck man!
peace

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Or... you could try feeding them one large frozen-defrosted crick. 1/3 of my slings loved this method, they sat on that thing till they were full. But then the rest never even looked at it. But hey, it can't hurt to try, one great thing about the folks at "Arachnopets", we all have different methods so one is sure to work for you!

And now, back to our regular programming...:D

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Ok since we are pulling off legs and all that.............:)

I just smash the crickets head and drop them in=D
They twitch for a long time, so the T's can find them.