ways to decrease humidity??

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
you know those little packets that sometimes come in shoes and stuff? The ones that say "do not eat"? Those are silica gel beads.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
ah okay, do you have any experience with the “damprid” buckets?
No, but calcium chloride is a pretty effective desiccant, so they probably work reasonably well. Just make sure you put it somewhere out of the path of the fan just in case any of the particles are small enough to get blown around.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
hey all, new to the forum:)
i have a brachypelma boehmei and since they dont really enjoy humidity, i was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for getting rid of it. i live on the east coast of the us so over here it’s generally always humid. in my room its 60% humidity! i keep a dehumidifier in my room but it raises the room temp from 70 to 77. so i just turn it on for an hour a few times a day to make the humidity 50%. any recommendations for lowering humidity that doesnt make my room a sauna?
I really doubt that 60% humidity is causing a problem to your Tarantula.

Can you post pictures of the enclosure? I'd be willing to wager that there's something else going on.

60% household humidity and dry substrate will not bea problem for a Tarantula if there's ventilation in the enclosure

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Buy one of those small portable air conditioners. They are cheap, cost efficient and will cool the room to a decent temp and pull heat/humidity out of the air and condense it into cool air. Problem solved.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Unless it's a sling then just keep it on dry substrate with a water dish, all that the ambient humidity where you live affects is how often you need to moisten substrate which you don't need to do for a B. boehmei anyway.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I've used dehumidifiers for years....way before keeping T's and after....

They should not raise the room temperature....

That makes absolutely 0 sense...

Either something is defunct with your dehumidifier or your thermometer...

All a dehumidifier does is collect water from the air...that builds up...and you dump the water when the canister is full...

There's no way that should raise temperature

Very odd!

celestiaiiove

Arachnopeon
I really doubt that 60% humidity is causing a problem to your Tarantula.

Can you post pictures of the enclosure? I'd be willing to wager that there's something else going on.

60% household humidity and dry substrate will not bea problem for a Tarantula if there's ventilation in the enclosure
there are a few inches of open spaces
I've used dehumidifiers for years....way before keeping T's and after....

They should not raise the room temperature....

That makes absolutely 0 sense...

Either something is defunct with your dehumidifier or your thermometer...

All a dehumidifier does is collect water from the air...that builds up...and you dump the water when the canister is full...

There's no way that should raise temperature

Very odd!
hey! i think its just the brand i have, after about 30 minutes it pushes out hot air. i googled and it said thats normal so ive just been leaving it on for 20 minutes

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
there are a few inches of open spaces

hey! i think its just the brand i have, after about 30 minutes it pushes out hot air. i googled and it said thats normal so ive just been leaving it on for 20 minutes
Yeah....just buy a better one and you'll be good if ambient humidity is indeed your problem. I forgot what brand mine is but I can give you the name tomorrow! You can keep it on all day as long as you dump it once a day!

Its just that its still in a moving box as its not as humid here as it was at my old place!

Happy to look tomorrow!

celestiaiiove

Arachnopeon
Yeah....just buy a better one and you'll be good if ambient humidity is indeed your problem. I forgot what brand mine is but I can give you the name tomorrow! You can keep it on all day as long as you dump it once a day!

Its just that its still in a moving box as its not as humid here as it was at my old place!

Happy to look tomorrow!
thanks so much!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Water evaporates doesn't affect humidity- depends on the ambient humidity of room. However water vapor in principal influences humidity that is basic High School earth science class :rofl: