Waxworms a Bust

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I tried waxworms again and I got mixed results, almost all negative.

The funniest was how scared my 6"+ LP was of that tiny little worm. Threat postures, slapping the ground, running around it.

My smithi who refuses roaches, ran over... :astonished:...then walked away. :shifty:

The only two who I think ate were my regalis and avic. Maybe I'll have to keep them alive until they turn to moths...

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, that's so funny...I pretty much always get a positive response, regardless of species.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I had good results from most of mine that were big enough to eat the ones I had but the P.fasciata turned it's down.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I use waxworms and calci worms a lot with slings and juvies. Always had good results. I also use other feeders such as crix and dubias. I have an AF vagans that would run right past a cricket for a waxworm. She loves them

Last edited:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I use waxworms and calci worms a lot with slings and juvies. Always had good results. I also use other feeeders such as crix and dubias. I have an AF vagans that would run right past a cricket for a waxworm. She loves them
Good to hear. My vagans had a rough molt and I almost lost her so anything to tempt her is worth it ;)

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I use waxworms and calci worms a lot with slings and juvies. Always had good results. I also use other feeders such as crix and dubias. I have an AF vagans that would run right past a cricket for a waxworm. She loves them
Do you cut up the worm in pieces? I just bought some and will try to give then to my 2 slings. One of them is TEENY only about .25 inches.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm wondering if it depends on the age/size of the spider when they are first introduced. I fed waxies to some of my juvies when they were itty bitty and will accept them now as juvies. The others that were juvies at the time, slapped at them as mentioned above, or completely ignored them and my AF and MM G. porteri which were petstore purchases were likely wild caught, and are completely oblivious to anything but the biggest dubias I can find. They don't like crickets, wax worms, meal worms or smaller dubia. I haven't tried horn worms, calci worms, super worms, other types of roaches or moths yet. Then again, the ARE porteri, they may just not like to eat and so the actual feeder doesn't make a difference in acceptance etc if you understand what I mean.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah. I get the worms small but still prekill or cut before dropping them in.
Ok. The worms I bought are pretty big. I'll have to cut them in little pieces and next time I'll look for smaller ones. Thank you. Still trying to wrap my mind around feeding such a teeny sling. I might try cutting up a cricket also.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Look for small Calci worms if you can. Just kill them and put them in. They are great for slings :)

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Look for small Calci worms if you can. Just kill them and put them in. They are great for slings :)
Sweet. I think I saw some of those at the LPS. I wonder if the larger wax worms should just go to the 2 bigger Ts. Thanks!

I love keeping Ts but man. The things they eat are a bit gross IMO. Stinky crickets, wiggly worms. Ugh.