Wax worms care troubleshooting, coming to surface and spinning cocoons early?

Arphaxad

Arachnopeon
I'm very new to keeping and breeding wax worms but I couldn't find any information about this problem elsewhere so I'll try my luck here, I believe I am keeping greater wax worms (the moths were a brown-mottled color) I keep them in a substrate made up of bran/honey/glycerine, always keep them above 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and don't disturb them other than shining a light on the container to check on them. Recently though, I've noticed that an alarming amount of them have come to the surface with about 2/3rds of the ones on the surface being dead, the ones on the surface and below the substrate vary in size, with the largest of the worms being around half an inch long and a 1/8th of an inch wide, and some of the larger worms have actually spun cocoons (or what seems like it) on the surface but they are nowhere near the size of my first generation that I bought. The only thing I can think of is that there might not be enough food/water for them as when I touch the substrate it is firm but dry to the touch, and the container I keep them in is only about 40% covered although I do not keep them in a very ventilated area. Can I add more honey/glycerine to the top because I don't think I can mix it in with the still-living larva...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
dying is very normal especially if they are from feeder stock. these insects are bred to die, and are not bred for quality more often than not. i would not think its anything youre doing, honestly, if the others are thriving, then i wouldnt do anything to possibly change the status quo

I DO reccomend to get a second batch from another location so you can mix in some better genes if youre planning on breeding longterm, though.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don’t understand that “bred to die” comment. Even feeder stock needs to live long enough to breed, otherwise the supplier would be out of business.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I don’t understand that “bred to die” comment. Even feeder stock needs to live long enough to breed, otherwise the supplier would be out of business.
of course, but many business take heavy losses and assume it is normal, there is always die off in large numbers out of a large amount of eggs. but a lot of people underestimate how much this is due to preventable causes like mixing in new genes every generation or two.