Watering your T spiderlings

Redscythe8833

Arachnopeon
Hi guys and gals,

I would like some feedback on watering for slings. I'm am brand new to the hobby. I have heard mixed things on water bowls or dropping water on to the substrate. Will a sling drown in standing water?

I currently have
B. Smithi
G. Pulchripes

I have some bottle tops filled with water for both seems to work just fine. Although my Gramastola loves filling it with substrate. Just want some feedback.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You can use caps. They won’t drown. They float. I prefer damp sub, and occasional dripping water in the web for my slings. But that’s just me. Only way you can screw this up is by not giving them water in any matter.

Redscythe8833

Arachnopeon
Thanks, They are doing great with the caps. I dont want to inadvertently put them in danger. My Gramastola is quite the excavator he/she shifts everything around overnight everyday. They are awesome just want what is best.

olll

Arachnosquire
You don’t need a water dish until they are 2 inches or bigger. Smaller sling can drink from Substrate

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Will a sling drown in standing water?
Slings don't even break the surface tension of the water so they can literally walk on it.

I work on the basis that if I can fit a dish in the enclosure then it gets a dish, otherwise I just dampen the sub as needed.

Tigger

Arachnopeon
For slings under 1/2 inch I have been keeping them in pill jars and keeping a small piece of sphagnum moss in with them. Every couple of days I pull it out with my tongs and dunk it in a cup of water. My theory is that they will always have water but I don't have to worry about the substrate getting too wet, especially towards the bottom. Once they are big enough to go into an enclosure that can fit one I use tattoo ink pots as a water dish. I buy them on Amazon and they come in a pack of 300, which is 100 each of 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm internal diameter. The one in the photo is a 10mm in a 0.3 litre Really Useful Box that is about 5 inches by 4 inches by three inches high. That's a tiny B. Emilia on the left and a 1 inch G. Pulchripes in the middle.

Moss.jpeg Ink Pot.jpeg Ink Pot 2.jpeg

ErikElvis

Newb
I don’t know if it’s acceptable but I spray the moss down and the sides of the enclosure to form water droplets. I don’t directly spray the t’s

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi guys and gals,

I would like some feedback on watering for slings. I'm am brand new to the hobby. I have heard mixed things on water bowls or dropping water on to the substrate. Will a sling drown in standing water?

I currently have
B. Smithi
G. Pulchripes

I have some bottle tops filled with water for both seems to work just fine. Although my Gramastola loves filling it with substrate. Just want some feedback.
You can use what ever small containers you like, that fits in the enclosure,but i always skip.waterdishes for slings and mist the enclosures 2 ir 3 times a week. Much easier IMO

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Hi guys and gals,

I currently have
B. Smithi
G. Pulchripes

The exoskeleton of a spider is water repellent, slings will not drown in water...they float.

Slings that are 1/2” or smaller, I keep them in 2oz or 3.5oz soufflé cups. For water I just keep the substrate moist.

A9D7D8BF-30EC-4EFB-ABC6-29700B804D5F.jpeg

Slings that are 3/4” go into 4X4X4 AMAC boxes, and I use bottle caps as water dishes.

8F659A06-D0AD-402A-8F7F-2B015C2A5262.jpeg

Species like Phormictopus, Grammostola, Acanthoscurria seem to take great pleasure in filling their water dishes with substrate; deficating in their water dishes; dragging water dishes into their burrows...just generally abusing water dishes.

AD19662E-C5C0-421F-9C4D-91448E9DAE51.jpeg

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I just spray water on the webs around my d diamantinensis sling’s burrow. Grammostola and brachypelma slings can drink water from the substrate.