watering tarantula food

ace556574

Arachnopeon
This not so much about Ts but more about providing water for the food, specifically roaches and crickets. By experience standing water doesn't work to well for ether since they more often than not will drown, and then causes funkie oder from rotting body. A sponge has a similar effect, and I would think that would also be bacteria breeding ground. Sooo what i was thinking was the possibility of using the supper absorbent water crystals. They hold water a lot longer and don't decay or mold. Is this safe since this is the food for my T's. if not what are some ideas?

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fruit. oranges, apples, bananas, pretty much any fruit thats not too acidic. veggies too, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, potatoes, again pretty much anything. they can be wilted or a little over ripe. wash them well, give them enough to last a day or so. water crystals work too, but fruits and veggies pack nutritional punch and water. offer them on a small easily accessed dish. the amount you'll offer will vary due to the number of feeders you're keeping. some choices will be more popular than others. good luck.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
fruit. oranges, apples, bananas, pretty much any fruit thats not too acidic. veggies too, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, potatoes, again pretty much anything. they can be wilted or a little over ripe. wash them well, give them enough to last a day or so. water crystals work too, but fruits and veggies pack nutritional punch and water. offer them on a small easily accessed dish. the amount you'll offer will vary due to the number of feeders you're keeping. some choices will be more popular than others. good luck.
This is what I do and it works for me. I have never used the water crystals, or tried a standing water source. I just offer a variety of fruits and vegetables, and they seem to do just fine. In my experience, carrots, oranges and apples are typically the ones that go over the best.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 to the carrots. Plus they seem to last a bit longer than the others without getting too funky.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I went to misting, fresh fruits, and veggies too. The water gel gets nasty quick like sponges and anything else.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I provide the water gel along w/ a dry mix of cat food and oatmeal. The water gel has to be provided in amounts based on how many feeders you have. Too much and yes they will go nasty. With my roach colony I don't have to worry about that. They devour it within a day or three. I buy the water crystals to make the gel in bulk for sooooo much less than buying it from anyone on here.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For my crickets, I use a test tube filled with water and stoppered with a wad of cotton. They can get the water from the cotton but can't drown. If the cotton starts to get nasty, you just take the tube out and clean it, replace the cotton and put it back.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do you keep the fruit flies from getting to the fruit?
It isn't a disaster if some fruit flies go around for a while. However, i have a number of those adhesive tapes appended in the room where i keep feeders and i have no a major problem.