Watering slings?

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do slings get their water? Do they just get it from crickets?

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
Yes. Most of their water will be taken from Crickets and Mealworms. However, as it was said, you can mist the sides of the enclosure and or the substrate as well.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I'm planning on getting either 3 B.Smithi slings or a B. Smithi and a G. Pulchripes if I can't find a dealer with good prices on both. I've been told they don't like to damp of substrate

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I'm planning on getting either 3 B.Smithi slings or a B. Smithi and a G. Pulchripes if I can't find a dealer with good prices on both. I've been told they don't like to damp of substrate
So give it a light misting a couple times a week. It's not rocket science ;)

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So give it a light misting a couple times a week. It's not rocket science ;)

If your going to make ******* comments then you don't need to reply to anything. I am new to the hobby and I was just wonder if slings need special water treatment.

Last edited:

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Misting it good a couple times a week is fine. Smithi and pulchripes are dry species, so it doesn't have to be soaking wet. My G. pulchripes sling's enclosure gets bone dry because heating is on this time of the year. Not a problem. Give the enclosure a good misting, they will drink from the droplets or from the wet substrate.

Blaze

Arachnopeon

If your going to make asshole comments then you don't need to reply to anything. I am new to the hobby and I was just wonder if slings need special water treatment.
hey Ry, just read the rules on cursing brother. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, i just don't want you getting an infraction.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
i have a pulchripes and a smithi sling each and typically what i do is a take a eye dropper (or a straw can be used as well) and wet a corner of the substrate that way they can get water if they want but stay on dry substrate as well and it's worked pretty well for me slings can be intimidating at first but really aren't that hard to take care of

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
hey Ry, just read the rules on cursing brother. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, i just don't want you getting an infraction.
And you are going to get an infraction as well for quoting him, so you both should remove that word from your posts.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
clam shells

I totally agree with the getting water from crickets, and misting occasionally..... however a method that I use in the winter dry months is to put in a very small clam shell or seashell. They usually are really shallow and work well for slings, and look more natural than a pop bottle lid or something. If your shells are pourous, hot glue the bottom.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Adults don't care for dry substrate. However, spiderlings that are under 2" do not have a fully developed epicuticle(outer waxy layer) and are therefore more susceptible to desiccation. Since it isn't recommended to keep them with a water dish until 2" then you keep the substrate damp for them. They will drink directly from the substrate as well, so it serves 2 purposes to wet the substrate.

Here is a post by Stan Schultz about the care of B. smithi.

Rue

Arachnoknight
... spiderlings that are under 2" ... Since it isn't recommended to keep them with a water dish until 2" then you keep the substrate damp for them. They will drink directly from the substrate as well, so it serves 2 purposes to wet the substrate....
Ah! That's helpful too! Thanks!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small B.boehmi, A.brocklehursti, P.pulcher and a P.irminia. If I think the water will dry too quickly or the sub is moist enough, I use the caps of the smallest vials as a little water bowl. They easily fill up with an eye dropper.

I don't know how well this would work with avics though....