waterfalls in T house?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi one and all,

Has anyone tried putting one of those exoterra waterfalls in T enclosure?
Is that a bad idea?
WHICH SPIDER? caps cuz of edit - good display spider not prone of attacking falling water? By display I mean 1) pretty 2) not burrowing 3) not webbing a lot.

I just think waterfalls are cool and wouldn't mind paying for one for a display T.

Last edited:

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi one and all,

Has anyone tried putting one of those exoterra waterfalls in T enclosure?
Is that a bad idea?

I just think waterfalls are cool and wouldn't mind paying for one for a display T.

I haven't but I can't see it being a bad idea. However, I would make sure that its quite low-impact, meaning not alot of water is falling, and smooth in the sence that it isn't splashing all over the place.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread where someone did this successfully or atleast talked about it. Hm, I'll have to look for it. The problem with the waterfall is it could possibly drown the T or stress it with the constant vibration of the pump.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only way to try it is, trial and error. Looking at it now; it doesn't seem deep enough for an adult T to drown, so the only concern I have is stress caused by vibrations in the motor of the pump. I'd say try it, you'd know if it was stressed. What kind of T you planning on using anyway?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly I don't know yet - I want to make a very fancy setup in late august, when I move to NY. I am not sure what display tarantula would be best. Singapore "blues" seem to like hiding, h. maculata webs a lot... May be I will get L. parahybana. It will be a new T, rest assured.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata would be my suggestion, since they like it semi-humid. The waterfall would keep the it kind humid so it would work nicely, plus genics are very good display Ts with their size, color, and being always out in the open.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My genic attacked the falling water every time I filled up the dish. It might get used to the waterfall, or it might not. They think everything that moves is food. If I were gonna try it myself, I'd use a long tank with the spider's burrow at one end and the waterfall at the other end. Good luck though, I'm sure it'll look wicked. :)

Neuroticvirus

Arachnopeon
hmm hey that sounds like a pretty cool idea im pretty good at building stuff like that so i might make one and try and get it where it doesnt have to have alot of water that might make it look real nice.

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had similar thoughts of building a display tank with one of those waterfalls in it. What I really want to do is take my 60 gallon tank, put two dividers in it, and have a pair of poison dart frogs on either side, and a T in the middle. I think that would be the most killer setup ever...its a goal for the distant future though... Make sure to post and let us know how it works out when you try it :} !!

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would do it with a T Blondi. Helps humidity and seems to fit the character of the spider. Plus it grows large, great display. L. Parahybana fits too, and tends to be a bit more visable (i just think Blondis look more impressive)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive wanted to do a similar thing, but just 3 different types of Poison Dart Frogs, those things are beautiful. Once Im in my own place I plan to do that as a display

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i sorta think blondi will dig a hole and not show up much. May be if this display succeeds, i will repeat w/ blondi.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought one and set it up in my exo terra for my avic avic, and it was not a good idea....dangerous for T, my T got washed into the bowl area, lol...i had to save her. I like the idea and the look, but if T ries to climb the sculpture, they can get washed into the bowl area in the bottom.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought one and set it up in my exo terra for my avic avic, and it was not a good idea....dangerous for T, my T got washed into the bowl area, lol...i had to save her. I like the idea and the look, but if T ries to climb the sculpture, they can get washed into the bowl area in the bottom.
good point