Waterdish question

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I have a quick question about waterdishes here. I have tried various different kinds of water dishes including two ceramic ones and some bottle caps but none of them seem to hold water for more than a day.I know tarantulas can Web around the water dish which can act as a wick and let the water drain out but I've even tried moving the dish just a few cm and had the same result. Any ideas or tips?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Use plastic condiment cups. The nice part is that when they get webbed over or filthy, you can just drop another one on top of it. They nest perfectly. I use this size for my adults, and the little 1oz ones for everything else.

20170121_092801.jpg

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Use plastic condiment cups. The nice part is that when they get webbed over or filthy, you can just drop another one on top of it. They nest perfectly. I use this size for my adults, and the little 1oz ones for everything else.

View attachment 233874
First of all I just have to say I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel, it helped me a lot when I was starting out. And thanks for the advice, I'll have a look on amazon and see if I can find some.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Are you living somewhere with a really dry climate? My area currently has about 27% RH and I have to refill dishes constantly.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
Are you living somewhere with a really dry climate? My area currently has about 27% RH and I have to refill dishes constantly.
No I live in Scotland so we usually have quite a high humidity. That's why I was quite confused about the water dish emptying so quickly.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
First of all I just have to say I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel, it helped me a lot when I was starting out. And thanks for the advice, I'll have a look on amazon and see if I can find some.
Thank you kindly :) Look into a store called Smart & Final. I don't know if they're international, but that's where I get mine here in the States.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes. Use glass water dish. Keep those always clean of prey boluse, dirt etc zero issues.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Webbing or coco fibre can act as a wick ,,, I've watched a dish empty with a small piece of fibre touching the water

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
This is my method also. I found various size sleeves of them fairly cheap on eBay. When a dish gets too foul, I just toss it and place a new one on top (I also layer/nest them in tank -- it holds the space well when a change is needed). Much more convenient than having to wash them.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually go for glass ashtrays at the thrift store but generally my terrestrials bury them right away so I have to refill them every couple days to keep that part of the coco moist. They definitely know where it is though and I catch them drinking right after I fill it from time to time. Several of my cages are a couple ashtrays deep though when the bury them too much.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Slings have plastic bottle caps pressed into the sub and partially filled.
Juveniles get 1 or 5 gl. water jug caps, depending on DLS.
Adults have either 4.5"X.75" ceramic dishes or plastic jar lids ranging from 2.5"X.75" to 3.5"X.75". These, when dirty, are subjected to the dishwasher on the final rinse cycle and reused. All others are thrown in the recycling container. I've several people that save lids for me to use, so I always have a large reserve. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For slings I use vials (same type breeders use for shipping tarantulas). They are tall and narrow so they have less evaporation than any wide dish. They are available in all types of sizes. You just need to make sure it is big enough that your T could climb into it if water level goes down should you be gone for a few days. They never run out of water for me.

For adult T's I use plastic cups (available in picnic supplies at grocery store or perhaps Tesco in Scotland)

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I use ink caps for tattooing as water dishes for my brachypelma slings, and I moisten one corner of the substrate every week or so. For my juvenile avics I use soda bottle caps, although my smaller juvenile has two in his enclosure, one which is elevated by his web because he was getting dehydrated and wouldn't come down to the water. My bigger juvie/subadult is fine with a single soda cap, though. I also lightly mist the side or corner of the avic enclosures every few days (only enough that it dries up within a few hours), although I'm sure that's probably overkill lol. I also have larger trays (approx 2 oz.) I plan to use as water dishes when they get into bigger enclosures. I really like the idea of the plastic condiment cups mentioned by others as well, that would definitely be something I look for in the future.