Water

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
I still keep my 1" Avicularia in 25 DRAM vials.

Does anybody use a water dish for a small 1" toe_to_toe Avicularia?:confused:

Thanks,

BinarySpider2

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when my avicularia vesicolors where 1 inch I kept them in the flukers cricket food jar. i was told vials were not good to keep T's in if they arent being shipped.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i never had an avic but i kept my 1 inch sling in a 4" deli cup im sure it would be ok for the avic too

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
ballpython2 said:
when my avicularia vesicolors where 1 inch I kept them in the flukers cricket food jar. i was told vials were not good to keep T's in if they arent being shipped.
Thanks, I agree, the vials that they were shipped in were just fine for shipping. Just large enough to let them turn around and small enough to get them to the location.

I actually purchased LARGER vials, in fact about 5 or maybe 7 times the volume of their shipping vials that I use to keep mine in, 25 DRAMS. I also drilled multiple holes in the sides of the vials and in the lids. I also placed coconut substrate in the bottom of the vials for moisture. They work just like a miniature arboreal cage which is perfect in size for the 1 inch Avicularias.

Drachenjager said:
well i never had an avic but i kept my 1 inch sling in a 4" deli cup im sure it would be ok for the avic too
I was mainly wondering does anybody use a water dish for a small 1" toe_to_toe Avicularia?:confused:

Thanks,

BinarySpider2

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No I have a few dozen slings and they dont get water dishes, but they do get misted twice a week. If I dont mist it gets way to dry. Plus I can watch the little guys drink up from the sides, or their existing webbing.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh lol i misunderstood. I put a water dish in with my P. cancerides sling when it was about 1.5" and it was a DP bottle cap.
I am not sure tho but i think that an avic will drink more water drops than from a dish, and the dish is more for humidity?>?>?
I am getting an Avic metallica pretty soon so i better figgure this out myself .. but i think its more like 3" so a dish wont be a prob..

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't use any sort of dish until they reach around 2 inches. Until that happens, like Talkenlate04 said, I mist the web once or twice a week but most of the moisture a sling will get will be from the food.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still keep my 1" Avicularia in 25 DRAM vials.

Does anybody use a water dish for a small 1" toe_to_toe Avicularia?:confused:

Thanks,

BinarySpider2
Just mist the sides with water every couple of days. Avics prefer to drink off the sides of the walls as well.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
talkenlate04 said:
No I have a few dozen slings and they dont get water dishes, but they do get misted twice a week. If I dont mist it gets way to dry. Plus I can watch the little guys drink up from the sides, or their existing webbing.
Thanks, I just misted them for the second time this week.

Drachenjager said:
oh lol i misunderstood. I put a water dish in with my P. cancerides sling when it was about 1.5" and it was a DP bottle cap.
I am not sure tho but i think that an avic will drink more water drops than from a dish, and the dish is more for humidity?>?>?
I am getting an Avic metallica pretty soon so i better figgure this out myself .. but i think its more like 3" so a dish wont be a prob..
No problem, I use the one fluid ounce super thin plastic medicine cups that I cut in half to about 1/2 of a fluid ounce to give water to all of my 1.5 inch Avicularia.versicolor and to all of my 2.5 inch Avicularia.bicegoi. I have only seen my Avicularia.bicegoi get a drink so far. Hey, please post some pics of your metalica when you get it.

cheetah13mo said:
I don't use any sort of dish until they reach around 2 inches. Until that happens, like Talkenlate04 said, I mist the web once or twice a week but most of the moisture a sling will get will be from the food.
Thanks.

Novak said:
Just mist the sides with water every couple of days. Avics prefer to drink off the sides of the walls as well.
Thanks.

Here is a couple of pics of one of my Avicularia amazonica. You can clearly see the holes in the side of the 25 Dram vial. I believe that they are about 1/16 of an inch in diameter.

Pre Molt...

Post Molt...

BinarySpider2

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
great looking slings, I can't wait to see the adult colors. :}

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use soda caps as water dishes with my 1.5" slings, one of which is an a.avic. The humidity where I live is typically 20-40% most of the year, and never really goes above 65% inside my house, so I'm always afraid of them getting dehydrated. I also mist about once a week.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Novak said:
great looking slings, I can't wait to see the adult colors. :}
Thanks, I am really looking forward to seeing them as adults. I heard that the Giant Amazon Pinktoe gets very large. I was fortunite enough to get 5 of them.

kyrga said:
I use soda caps as water dishes with my 1.5" slings, one of which is an a.avic. The humidity where I live is typically 20-40% most of the year, and never really goes above 65% inside my house, so I'm always afraid of them getting dehydrated. I also mist about once a week.
It is like that where I live. After a heavy rain last night it is currently 41% humidity and it will be around 30% tommorrow. I do frequent misting. I have had 8 molts so far with no problems but I do worry about a bad molt happening.

BinarySpider2

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I've never seen my versi drink off the walls after I mist, which I do twice a week. The problem is that I can't exactly get the water droplets close enough to it so that it can find it (I cut out a little trapdoor in the lid but it made its web at the opposite side of the enclosure so the droplets can't reach its web while misting). Will the sling be able to look for the water and find it? The jar is, to tell the truth, too large for the sling but I don't want to have to resort to rehousing it. I used to be able to squirt some water into its web through an airhole but it has since webbed that up too. :rolleyes:
Sorry if I'm hijacking, OP. :eek: