Water Spider ID

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Found in San Joaquin County, California. About 2" legspan, and found at the edge of a river. I saw at least a dozen, including small mature males that had more black markings on its carapace. All of them were quick to run across the water to get away from me.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

Sorry for the bad photos, I was in a hurry and I did not collect it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Found in San Joaquin County, California. About 2" legspan, and found at the edge of a river. I saw at least a dozen, including small mature males that had more black markings on its carapace. All of them were quick to run across the water to get away from me.
A wolf spider (Lycosidae). Compare with Arctosa littoralis.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Arctosa littoralis is 100% correct. they are very neat spiders. found pretty much anywhere with moist sandy areas

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
A wolf spider (Lycosidae). Compare with Arctosa littoralis.
Arctosa littoralis is 100% correct. they are very neat spiders. found pretty much anywhere with moist sandy areas
Awesome, thanks you guys! Lol, our resident spider ID'ers. :astonished: And now that you mention it, yes that habitat is usually sandy, however this year the river has gotten higher and now the shore is just muddy.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Awesome! I didn't know there were any somewhat large size spiders in the area. I wish my parent's were more willing to drive me to places for some bug hunting. Just a couple of years left to get my driver's license (i can get a permit at this point but I still need a person with a license to be with me so what's the point?)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I didn't know there were any somewhat large size spiders in the area. I wish my parent's were more willing to drive me to places for some bug hunting. Just a couple of years left to get my driver's license (i can get a permit at this point but I still need a person with a license to be with me so what's the point?)
Man you live in SoCal... There should be tons of large spiders around you lol! Just look for suitable habitats.