Water Spider ID

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Captured this little amazing sequence today.

Male slowly and cautiously approached. As soon as he got to the leaf, she pounced on him. Then she carried him off to eat him.

I was dumb struck and kind of pissed off she ate him, but that's life I guess.

It's amazing what goes on at such a small level.

Any info would be great. If it's too small for ID, lemme know and I'll email ya a large version!

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Dolomedes triton also known as the 'Sixspotted Fishing Spider'.. maaaybe?

The pictures are a bit small but did the specimens look at all like the one's in the links posted below?

D. triton Photo's:
(Please, look at ALL the photo's due to variation!)http://bugguide.net/node/view/1990/bgimage

Information:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/1990

-If so, I would guess both specimens are juviies of the species D. triton which is a AWESOME find, in our opinion! GREAT photo's as well :clap:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The little guy on the top left of the first scene, is actually a mature male. In the real photo, you can clearly see his pedipalps.

Stoked you enjoy the photo!

Didn't look like a six spot. It did look like a Dolomedes fimbriatus from some pics I've seen.

Thanks!

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The larger one looks more like a wolf spider to me.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've seen a lot of Lycosa running around on or near water a lot of times.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, that's a wolf, and the narrow face means it is probably a Pardosa sp.

Here's a closeup of a P. mackenziana I took earlier this year, showing the typical Pardosa face with the generally straight-up-and-down sides:

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Ahh, I was thinking these were smaller specimens but now that I've seen the other picture, I would def. agree with jsloan on the spider being a Wolf spider. Sorry about that, LOL. :p