Water Predator Bug Thing! SO COOL.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this thing out in the backyard in a bucket of rain water. It's huge, well, has a 3" head to rear in length.

I have it set up in a glass bowl right now with some water at room temp, some granite stones in the bottom and some sticks for it to cling to.

I have fed it a feeder gold fish already. =D

Any info on this thing would be helpful. Links to sites are welcomed!!

Pics----- >>> Clicky Clicky <<<----

--
After a little reasearch...

So I found out it belongs to the Belostomatidae family. Giant Water Bug is it's common name. Has one of the most painful bites.

Last edited:

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man you are lucky I have never found a giant water bug and i have wanted one for years. I wish i could find one just chillin in a bucket in my back yard:(

Last edited:

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the good find! I've kept these as pets plenty of times... it's so much fun watching them catch fish {D

The care is pretty easy, they like still water, just make sure it doesn't get too gross from the dead fish and such. It would do well in a larger tank where it can swim around a bit. And they *do* fly, so you'll want a lid, or you might end up finding it somewhere else in your house!

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have caught two adults this spring. Luckily, they are a male and female. They began mating about 2 min after putting them in the same cage. Within two days, I had eggs. They have laid a second batch of eggs since. Unfortunately, I left the lid off and the female is now missing. I am willing to sell or trade the nymphs when they hatch. I just had to check with my state DNR and make sure it is legal to do so. It is, so I will be having plenty available for those interested. I plan on catching more. Give me feedback if you are interested.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pic isn't there! Could post some where else other then Facebook? I logged in thinking that would show it but nope. :(

Black Widow88