Water drops on the side...

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the significance of the drops of water on the side of the enclosure?

My 2 inch Pokie did that shortly after he arrived from being shipped last Thursday... and he won't eat for me either. As soon as I put him in the enclosure he went straight to the water dish and drank a lot (I am guessing, since he stayed there for a fairly long time.) After the drink, he climbed the side and I saw a drop of water on the side of the jar right in front of his fangs. I only saw the water that one time. (The container that he was shipped in was bone dry and I am guessing that it was his home, since it was webbed and had little cricket carcasses and parts all about.)

Here is a pick of him in the water dish.... any thoughts?

He is currently hanging around the sides and will come down every now and again... he moves quickly and overall looks quite healthy.

Should I be concerned about the water or him not eating yet?

I did do a search for the water topic, but I came up with sooooo many and my internet is pretty slow... I do appologize if this has been discussed before. If it would be easier someone could just post a link to this topic if it was discussed elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mister T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I suspect if your little guys enclosure that he was shipped in was that dry,he was probably in need of the water.I mist my juvie pokies twice per week during feeding,although they do have small water dishes just in case .

It may take a week or more for your T to settle in to the new enclosure and begin eating again,or it may be approaching a molt .It seems every T I have purchased recently has molted very shortly after I have received them.

I hope you enjoy your new little guy...a beautiful T :clap:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Mr. T. He was most likely just thirsty, and the drop of water you saw could have been either drool or it dripped from his mouth parts after drinking.
Don't worry about him not eating. I don't feed my T's until 4 days to a week after shipping or rehousing. They have been through stress and they just aren't interested. Give him water and time. He'll eat, believe me, he is a pokie. Once he settles in, he will eat you out of crickets.
He is a real cutie!!!!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suspect if your little guys enclosure that he was shipped in was that dry,he was probably in need of the water.I mist my juvie pokies twice per week during feeding,although they do have small water dishes just in case .

It may take a week or more for your T to settle in to the new enclosure and begin eating again,or it may be approaching a molt .It seems every T I have purchased recently has molted very shortly after I have received them.

I hope you enjoy your new little guy...a beautiful T :clap:
sounds like your little guy was pretty dehydrated. pokies, being arboreal, get most of their water from droplets on leaves, branches, etc. i would leave a water dish in there though, just in case. they wont web it up so its actually practical to have one. i would also mist every other day, but not too much as to saturate the substrate. i also wouldnt be too concerned about it not eating quite yet. it may have been in pre-molt when it was shipped or is still sressed from having been shipped. give it a week or 2, if it isnt showing any signs of pre-molt for you and still hasnt eaten then you can begin to get a liiiiitle concerned. but they can go quite sometime without a meal and be just fine. i had a p. ornata go for 5 months without eating. so it should be fine. beautiful metallica by the way! :worship:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i totally agrre with the others - it was probably just a water drop he lost after drinking.

as for food, i wouldn't worry. my metallicas don't eat as much and as readily as other pokies, and yours has a nicely sized abdomen. it will be fine;)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like everyone else said, don't worry too much about your T not eating. Just make sure it always has water- I believe good hydration is more important than anything else, so I'm always happy to see my T's drinking and I give even my smallest slings water bowls.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I offered a smaller cricket today and she gobbled it up!

Thank you so much for all the words of wisdom!

I'm doing the happy Pokie dance! {D