Water dishes

jaycied

Arachnoknight
What creative things have you come up with to use as water dishes for your Ts? I have been using plastic soda bottle caps, but recently realized that I like to use metal beer caps instead lol. What do you guys use?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For arboreals, these Command soap dishes from Walmart from Walmart.

For terrestrials, round silicone rubber candy molds that I cut down to a good height (no hard edges to fall onto).

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
In one of my enclosures, I use what they call a "monkey seed pod", it's in the lower left of the picture.
I figured a plastic cap would be distracting in here.
Can't wait for this enclosure to get growing.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Last year I bought a 2500 ct. box of 4 oz. deli containers for future slings from Sam's club. With that many laying around, Everyone gets a 4oz. water dish now.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
What creative things have you come up with to use as water dishes for your Ts? I have been using plastic soda bottle caps, but recently realized that I like to use metal beer caps instead lol. What do you guys use?
I use milk bottle tops , and the coasters you use for chair legs.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I use twist tope off of most standard juice containers in super markets. One brand I can think of is tropicana. They use these awesome, water tight tops that are wider on the bottom, so they can hold quite a bit of water. Also, they look pretty good aesthetically IMO ;)

jaycied

Arachnoknight
In one of my enclosures, I use what they call a "monkey seed pod", it's in the lower left of the picture.
Can't wait for this enclosure to get growing."

Is yours bioactive with real plants? It looks great.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't wait for this enclosure to get growing.

Does the pod leak at all?? Or even make the surrounding sub a bit moist? I've thought of these but don't know anyone that has tried them.

@jaycied I can't claim credit, but for super tiny bowls come in the form of tattoo ink holders

This one I can claim credit for, holds 15 mL of water, 5 or 6 for a dollar.

Pills.JPG

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
@jaycied
Thank you, and yes, I've got some forest springtails and some purple dwarf isopods in there that help out. There's only two species of plants, I have golden pothos and Ficus vaccinioides clippings that I just put in. I can also see some various mosses starting to grow on the cork bark as well.

Does the pod leak at all?? Or even make the surrounding sub a bit moist? I've thought of these but don't know anyone that has tried them.

@jaycied I can't claim credit, but for super tiny bowls come in the form of tattoo ink holders

This one I can claim credit for, holds 15 mL of water, 5 or 6 for a dollar.

View attachment 236849
The monkey seed pod I have does not leak, and the water does not soak through it. I keep it wet and over fill it in order to increase the likelihood of mosses sprouting on it. But I would guess that if you wanted one in a drier habitat, it would hold water and stay dry.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've used them in PDF vivs before. What I did was smear a thin layer of clear silicone on the inside of the pod beforehand.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've started using the lids off of empty cans of shaving gel for my juvenile arboreal enclosures, they're only slightly wider than the large milk bottle lids but a lot deeper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've used them in PDF vivs before. What I did was smear a thin layer of clear silicone on the inside of the pod beforehand.
I had a feeling you'd post. I almost tagged you for this one.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I buy distilled water for all my animals, the caps that go to he jugs become great bowls, I have a few 'rock' water dishes from jamiestarantulas, as well as a couple of the acrylic ones she advertises. Nesquick bottles have really awesome lids that I use for dishes. I tend to steer away from anything metal. Bought my female P. irminia from a guy who used a baby food jar lid, but it started getting rust spots.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Larger spiders get 4oz deli cups like TomKemp mentioned, babies get chapstick lids. They work alright.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I only use cheap disposable things like bottle lids and condiment cups -- I refuse to wash T water dishes. I hate washing dishes and sure don't wanna wash T dishes too!
I use anything that I can easily pull from enclosure (often with tongs!) and replace.

All my gorgeous natural looking water dishes purchased over the years.... either donated or tossed.

I'd also point out, when cleaning dishes, with some species you are basically handling something covered in poop/bolus, and possibly introducing urticating hairs into your home. Buy disposable!!!