Water dishes for slings

Hoshnobobo

Arachnopeon
I had read that I did not need water dishes for slings under an inch since they got enough moisture from food and moist substrate. But I saw. Thread on Facebook where Multiple people said ALL tarantulas should have a water dish. Most of my slings are in containers too small for bottle caps, I need something the size of a pencil eraser I think Any ideas?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Most of my slings are in containers too small for bottle caps, I need something the size of a pencil eraser I think Any ideas?
As far as slings <1" go, if I could fit a water dish in the enclosure, I would. (Don't worry about them drowning.) Some people have used tattoo ink cups for tiny slings.

If you can't fit a water dish, most slings <1" will be fine as long as you keep part of the substrate damp and periodically dribble some water on the side for drinking.

Once it's upgraded to deli cup status (>1"), you should have no trouble finding a water dish that will fit.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
As far as slings <1" go, if I could fit a water dish in the enclosure, I would. (Don't worry about drowning.) Some people have used tattoo ink cups for tiny slings.
Yup.. Myself being the first one on the boards to kick that trend off ;).. Lol

Some other ingenious person also discovered that the single lego piece ( the little square one with only one connecting circle) when flipped over works really well as a water dish with slings in tiny enclosures..

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Almost anything can be used as a water dish for slings, lego bricks are pretty good, tattoo ink pots as others a stated and I've even heard and seen hotels/houses from monopoly sets being used

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
People make them using hot glue. Using a pen cap as a mold.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I keep all my terrestrial slings in at least 2oz deli cups. My arboreal Ts I keep in inverted boxes. I've personally never been a fan of vials and I don't like to wok with them. I use tattoo ink cups for the cups and regular bottle caps for the boxes. I've never had an issue with keeping even the tiniest slings in these containers. I like having a water dish on hand for the. My T room is kept pretty warm so the extra water helps.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I actually made sling water dishes yesterday by using "blister packs" from my medicine. I cut them out, removed the foil (and pills) and TA-DAH, round, shallow and perfect size.

IMG_0484.JPG

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've used heavy duty aluminum foil wrapped around an appropriate sized item. Works instantly and can be made to any size or shape. Just check it for leaks first.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I actually made sling water dishes yesterday by using "blister packs" from my medicine. I cut them out, removed the foil (and pills) and TA-DAH, round, shallow and perfect size.
Just make sure they are washed out really well so you don't dose your T. :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
A water dish is very important to make your T thrive. You can use a lot of things. For the smaller slings i use bottle caps. And dont worry they can`t drown.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
IME with small water dish,the water tend to evaporate quickly,specially on well-ventilated enclosures,so you might want to take that into account if you plan to put one for your slings.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
All the answers I was going to say have pretty much been covered (and I've learned new ones!), but I'd have to say the tattoo ink caps is one of my favorites to use (thanks, @14pokies! ;) ). I've used them in enclosures as small as 2"×2", and they have a convenient 'lip' on them that make it easy to push down flush with the substrate without getting sub into the dish.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Lego? How long does the water take to dry up? Sounds tedious and also pointless to me since a water bowl has never saved my slings nor has not having one killed them. You can just feed them well and spray the sub and side walls. I understand it's the go to advice for newbies because it slightly easier to maintain. Many of experienced keepers and breeders don't use water bowls, even at adult stage. So in conclusion, water bowls are not needed, it's just what lots of people have considered easier to maintain a constant supply of water without over doing it and flooding out dry species. Go with what your comfortable with, a water bowl certainly won't hurt.

Hoshnobobo

Arachnopeon
Lego? How long does the water take to dry up? Sounds tedious and also pointless to me since a water bowl has never saved my slings nor has not having one killed them. You can just feed them well and spray the sub and side walls. I understand it's the go to advice for newbies because it slightly easier to maintain. Many of experienced keepers and breeders don't use water bowls, even at adult stage. So in conclusion, water bowls are not needed, it's just what lots of people have considered easier to maintain a constant supply of water without over doing it and flooding out dry species. Go with what your comfortable with, a water bowl certainly won't hurt.
Honestly this is what I had come up with on my own and through research. But I saw people react so passionately I wanted a second opinion