Water bug's

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Abedus spp.

or

Lethocerus americanus

Which one would you recommend, water bugs seem really cool and would be neat to keep.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm trying to decide too. I know Abedus can be kept together and breed easily, L. Americanus don't do too well together apparently and are difficult to breed. I'm thinking about getting some African waterscorpions (Nepa sp.). They can be kept together with no problems and are a little easier to breed.
Belastomatas are cool too but they will eat eachother as I recently discovered :(

Have you thought about giant water beetles? Carolina Biological should have them in sometime next month.

Abedus spp.

or

Lethocerus americanus

Which one would you recommend, water bugs seem really cool and would be neat to keep.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Abedus are really easy to breed, but rearing babies is a PAIN. The guy I got mine from typically had around a 10% survival rate.

If you get a hold of some, let me know and I'll email you the rearing appendix from his thesis.

They are cool and neat to keep, though. Especially when you offer prey when they're hungy -- they scramble like mad to grab it! :D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL Iheartmantids...that is so true(on both counts).

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey guys-

I've had some REALLY encouraging luck using my flow through cup nursury I described in a that epic waterbug thread. Very few, if any deaths three weeks after hatching!

Wade

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Impressive . . . I'll have to try something like that when I have a little more free time (being an engineering student is NOT conducive to successful breeding projects :evil:) Only three have survived my original hatching of four broods of around 100 each, and of those, only two are at third instar.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really appreciate it. I don't know what species exactly yet, or where im getting them from.

-How many should I start with
-How big of an aquarium should I use, i was thinking a 10 gallon, i could get a 5 gallon if i didn't need one so big.
-Would those fish nets used for breeding fish be OK to put the new born (would that be eclosed)
-Can I feed them feeder fish?
-What temperature should they be kept at?

Thanks

*edit*

If i had a well planted tank.. could i keep Lethocerus americanus?

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
-- How many?
As many as you like. If you've got Abedus, it's ok as long as everyone has their own perch that they can stick their rear ends out of the water from.

-- How big?
Again, as long as everyone can get their own perch it should be ok. Adult Abedus are gregarious and gather in large numbers when seasonal streams get smaller.

-- Fish nets for nymphs?
I wouldn't, because I'd be worried about them getting their claws stuck in the netting -- and if they don't get stuck, they can climb VERY easily on something that isn't smooth glass / plastic.

-- Feeder fish?
Yep! 1st instar nymphs won't usually attack anything more than 1.5x their body length, but adults seem willing to tackle stuff well larger than them.

-- Temperature?
No heating is required. Their developmental threshold is 10 degrees Celsius, and the mountain populations of A. herberti do fine with occasional chilly spells in nature.

Note: I only have experience with A. herberti, so I don't know how much of this applies to Lethocerus species.

Edit: Only adult A. herberti are gregarious -- the nymphs are territorial.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I assume warmer temperatures are appreciated for production? With the more aggressive species could i use a well planted tank?