Water Bowl Changes

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I refill twice a week and wash the dishes once a week. I use spring or distilled water. I happen to use it on my plants because my moderately hard tap water was killing them so I buy it anyway. And if my tap water was killing plants...doubt it’d be great for spiders on a long term basis.

In my area I would guess rainwater would be preferable to tap but obviously not everywhere. My area isn’t very polluted (not in a big city) and my tap water isn’t the best. I should probably collect rainwater for plants but not sure I’d risk it with my spiders.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
refill as needed 2 times (sometimes more) a week. Change when dirty, which can be weekly or less depending on the T
As far as water, I live in SoCal, our tap is horrid and rain..... I use filtered H20. As far as rain water, it is what you are supposed to collect
if you are in survival situations because of it's purity and I could only see an issue if your region suffered from acid rain

Last edited:

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TDS - Total dissolved solids
"Total dissolved solids" is not super helpful to measure pollutants because, as the name says, it measures every dissolved solid. For example, some very important and healthy minerals in water might be counted in this measure, while it can actually not properly measure some harmful substances, such as lead. The way most household TDS measurement tools work is by measuring the conductivity of the water, which goes up the more dissolves solids in the water, whatever that may be.

If you live in North America, most tap water will be very much safer for you and your pets, including Ts. TDS is not a measure used in water treatment plants, as they actually measure contaminants individually, such E. coli, lead, chlorine etc. Lots of bottled water is actually just tap water... and many bottled water factories get less testing than does municipal drinking water facilities.

I won't repeat what others said about the possibility that rainwater is highly contaminated.

Bottom line, you and your pet are safer off drinking tap water, with a few exceptions: your water comes from a well, in which case you should test it beforehand; your house has very old lead piping, in which case you need a special filter; and in case of special moments where the town sends out a notice to not drink the tap water, because something is off.