Water Bowl Changes

Paul Bisacca

Arachnopeon
How often do you change your water? I do mine maybe every other week if I think about it. Also use rain water.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
what water do they drink in the wild? RO/DI I don't think is available?
What wild T drinks rainwater from Metropolitan Atlanta? Would you drink the rainwater you collect? Would you drink it from the T's bowl after it sits for two weeks if you happen to think about it?

Paul Bisacca

Arachnopeon
What wild T drinks rainwater from Metropolitan Atlanta? Would you drink the rainwater you collect? Would you drink it from the T's bowl after it sits for two weeks if you happen to think about it?
Lol, its a freekin spider, i bet your dog licks it's a$$, would you lick your's if you could or his?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I check my T's water every other day and refill it twice a week,. I clean the biofilm out of the plastic bowls about once a week ish. Doing this helps prevent the water from wicking away into the substrate. I also wouldn't use rainwater for the same reasons as I would never feed wild feeders, too much of a risk of pollutants that could very easily kill the tarantula.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For me it's about the same. I usually refill water dishes as needed and then clean them once a week or so, more often if they poop in it or dump substrate into it.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Lol, its a freekin spider, i bet your dog licks it's a$$, would you lick your's if you could or his?
@Paul Bisacca just a quick question, just confirming what you're saying.
If there is a chance you're rainwater was contaminated with pollutants that might harm your T, you wouldn't have the ethics of a responsible animal owner to use a safer, alternative water source? Or not because "it's a freekin spider"?
Also, is your puzzling and inappropriate fascination with beastiality more your form of responsible animal ownership?

Paul Bisacca

Arachnopeon
@Paul Bisacca just a quick question, just confirming what you're saying.
If there is a chance you're rainwater was contaminated with pollutants that might harm your T, you wouldn't have the ethics of a responsible animal owner to use a safer, alternative water source? Or not because "it's a freekin spider"?
Also, is your puzzling and inappropriate fascination with beastiality more your form of responsible animal ownership?
You my friend are a water expert! Enlighten me, what pollutants do you describe?

Paul Bisacca

Arachnopeon
RO/DI, pure H2O, most consider not safe long term for any animal. Spring water, what guarantee there are no pollutants? Tap water, for gods sake test it to see what crap is in it. Rain water is pure, its what animals in the wild drink, quit reading idiot posts from folks who just rehash what they have been reading over and over again in dumb a$$ posts like this.

vounti

Arachnoknight
RO/DI, pure H2O, most consider not safe long term for any animal. Spring water, what guarantee there are no pollutants? Tap water, for gods sake test it to see what crap is in it. Rain water is pure, its what animals in the wild drink, quit reading idiot posts from folks who just rehash what they have been reading over and over again in dumb a$$ posts like this.
That is totally wrong. How can you say that rain water is pure? It can be polluted while raining, during run off, during collection. Parasites, insect larvae, chemicals and a lot of stuff could also contaminate the water while it is collecting into the bin. There is a huge amount of different factors.
Using the "what do they do in the wild" is not a pretty good argument in my opinion. First, in the wild, most tarantulas won't make it to the adult stage. In the wild, there is not a giant ass animal making sure that the T has food, molts correctly, has enough room, right temperature. We can't always use that "in wild!" argument. In the wild, their water does not come from the same place your water comes from

I gave my tarantulas rain water until I realized it was killing them. I lost 3 slings because of that mistake. I now use tap water, it costs nothing and it greatly reduces risks.
Anyway. To answer your question, I change water every 2-3 days

Paul Bisacca

Arachnopeon
Read up on TDS - Total dissolved solids before you make a claim that is unfounded. Common knowledge for reef hobbyists. And measure your tap water if you think it is safe, fluoride, lead, chlorine, etc. If you think tap is safer than rain, you are uneducated.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Read up on TDS - Total dissolved solids before you make a claim that is unfounded. Common knowledge for reef hobbyists. And measure your tap water if you think it is safe, fluoride, lead, chlorine, etc. If you think tap is safer than rain, you are uneducated.
Does boiling tap water help in any way?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I use tap water with reptisafe, but I also live in Colorado so my water doesn't go through many people or treatment plants before getting to me.

I refill when I notice it's empty, max time between refills would be like 2 weeks, usually more often.

The safest thing you can do is get your own filter, but I think it's overkill depending on where you live / how your water tests if you do so.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I refill water every 2-3 days and change out once a week. What is rainwater?...I live in California.

Stormsinger

Arachnopeon
I change water once a week as I do feedings. For my smaller slings I check on their water twice a week and I always keep a corner of sub a little damp in all enclosures. I use a paper towel to clean out the dishes of any biofilm and debris/ webbing that might make the water dry up or turn nasty.
Since I only have six Ts and no plans for more, I just pick up a gallon of purified drinking water at the grocery store for a dollar and I'm good for a while. I would never use or recommend rainwater since pretty much anything released into the air will come back down in those raindrops. Plenty of animals die or have problems due to rainwater pollution, and I didn't go to the trouble of spending time and money acquiring and raising my Ts just to put their health at risk for a little free water.