Wasp question(spring foundresses)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are the wasps that are out flying about now foundresses? Some are worker sized, leading me to think that workers CAN overwinter while others look like queens. It funny how they can't fly straight yet LOL.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whole workers have been managing to overwinter in parts of europe, this leads to abnormally large colonies the following year.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uh oh, The Wasp revolution, next thing they will be forming super colony's Like Bee's!

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Female workers and fertilized gynes are nearly impossible to tell apart by the eye alone. You need to dissect them to see if they are fertilized.

The wasps flying right now are probably gynes and the first/second generation of workers.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Female workers and fertilized gynes are nearly impossible to tell apart by the eye alone. You need to dissect them to see if they are fertilized.

The wasps flying right now are probably gynes and the first/second generation of workers.
So they are not mated females than? There is still snow on the ground and very few if any bugs to eat, also they had only been out a few days and were unable to fly properly. I am willing to bet some were just recently woken up. And as a side note I left an abandoned paper wasp nest near one the the air holes in the cage and one wasp was desperatly trying to get to it for some reason, even though there were no eggs or larva in the nest. I got your PM BTW

Edit: and whats a gynes?
Thanks!