Wasp ID please

racketman

Arachnopeon
maybe a Spider wasp or Wood wasp? Found in Richmond PK, SW london on a fence in February this year:
Size:

close up:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The curled antenna does suggest Pompillidae but I wouldn't rule out Ichneumonidae either.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi - Nice picture.

Its an Ichneumon of some kind. There are no UK Pompilid species that look like that and the antennae have way too many segments for a pomp - a pomp would have 12 or 13 segments depending on the sex. pic. Probably the best person to give you a hint as to species would be Mark Shaw at Edinburgh Museum - hes an expert on parasitica.

Matt

racketman

Arachnopeon
Hi - Nice picture.

Probably the best person to give you a hint as to species would be Mark Shaw at Edinburgh Museum - hes an expert on parasitica.

Matt
Thanks for tip - I found his e mail address and have sent him three images. If he has the time to reply I will let you know his conclusion.

Toby

- e mail address must have been out of date, delivery failed :wall:

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I cant tell you what it is, but I can give you a good guess on the sex... The curled/long antenna are strong indicators that it is a male.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I cant tell you what it is, but I can give you a good guess on the sex... The curled/long antenna are strong indicators that it is a male.
Then again, the ovipositor sticking out of the rear end rather strongly suggests its a female..........;) . Antenna curling is not really a reliable indicator of sex in Hymenoptera I'm afraid, though some Sphechid males do have the last 1 or 2 antennal segments curled round upon themselves.

Matt

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then again, the ovipositor sticking out of the rear end rather strongly suggests its a female..........;) . Antenna curling is not really a reliable indicator of sex in Hymenoptera I'm afraid, though some Sphechid males do have the last 1 or 2 antennal segments curled round upon themselves.

Matt

LOL I just noticed that! My bad.{D