Wasp control

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mantids are so awesome! I love feeding the few wild ones I find in my gardens.

Did you pre-smoosh the wasp to avoid any potential injuries, though? ;)

What is that particular mantid called?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is an adult Wide-Arm female. She has no fear, although this particular meal is small.

A thread on mantidforum discussed wasps as prey. Mantids are apparently not greatly affected by the sting of a wasp or bee. However, I can see that taking one in the eye might be an issue.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..and those just wander your house looking for harmless house flies and other good stuf don't they? Ps, I want one. :)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL mine would take carolina locusts and boy would they thrash around as the mantid ate them, the mantids were unphased. I had the Chinese types BTW I had one really cute one that I would take evrywhere with me and it would just sit on my hand or shoulder.... wasps are no issue for them as some times they can take mice and bird. I don't condone feeding of live verts to captive mantids, the risk is too great and the nuts out there seem to glorify it. Which adds a bad rap to us mantid owners. In the wild as we all know is a completely differnt ball game.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some mantids accept prekilled food if you make it move.
If you intend to feed them wasps I would recommend this procedure before either you or your pets get hurt.

Yours very truly,
Louise E. Rothstein.