Washing plants from lowes

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I recently got 2 new plants from lowes and I plan to put them in my bioactive enclosure for my pokie. However, I'm concerned about pesticides. What would be the best way to rid the plants of any possible pesticides? Would regular soap and water work?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Pesticides can not all just be washed off some are systemic and will be inside of the plant. Plants you bought from lowes are low quality commercially produced, which involves pesticides and fertilizers. Not your top picks for plants to use in a bioactive enclosure. I personally wouldn't do it. I used to spray pesticides and you have no idea what they used and what the mode of action is for whatever they used, and what type of chemical it is.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Theoretically if you planted them in a pot and took care of them without any pesticides for a long time they might be safe eventually. I still wouldn't risk it. As mentioned above simply washing them won't make them safe.

Buy plants from dealers that specialize in vivarium plants and bioactive setups. If you're gonna spend the money on bioactive, shell out the extra cheddar for safe plants.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
One thing you can do is take cuttings, which I think greatly reduces the risk of pesticides. Not sure what happens to systemic pesticides with cuttings, but I sort of assumed the plant moves them into dead tissues, so the new stuff should be relatively safe. @Smotzer do you know how that works?

Ofc, depending on the plants, cuttings may not work at all, and even if they do, they will take a while to grow to size.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Interesting, I've used plants from Home Depot on a couple occasions with no ill effects although they were smaller desert type plants. I didn't even bother washing them off.
What I was careful about is the soil that came in the pots - some had these pellet like fertilizer stuff in their roots/soil so I removed that as much as I could before replanting into the terrarium.
I am not saying it's safe to do after reading others posts, just saying what I've been able to do without issue.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
European recommended pesticide removal method for fruits and vegetables. A mild solution of dishwashing liquid, sprayed or agitated two or three times should remove about 95% of the chemical residues. Rinse as you would the dishes.
So hug your plants and give them a bath. They were designed to tolerate an occasional deluge.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Theoretically if you planted them in a pot and took care of them without any pesticides for a long time they might be safe eventually. I still wouldn't risk it. As mentioned above simply washing them won't make them safe.

Buy plants from dealers that specialize in vivarium plants and bioactive setups. If you're gonna spend the money on bioactive, shell out the extra cheddar for safe plants.
Any suggestions on the dealers?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
do you know how that works?
Yes I do, with cuttings if systemic, and transliminar pesticides has been applied before hand in the soil it will have been in the initial cuttings, but without reapplication to the soil, generally the new growth material, the pesticide with not be further translocated up into the new growth. Factors in this are what type of plant it is and how woody it is. But generally after cuttings have begun new shoot growth those parts would be free from pesticides, but ther may still be pesticdes present from the parts that were the initial cuttings, probably at a low rate though.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Yes I do, with cuttings if systemic, and transliminar pesticides has been applied before hand in the soil it will have been in the initial cuttings, but without reapplication to the soil, generally the new growth material, the pesticide with not be further translocated up into the new growth. Factors in this are what type of plant it is and how woody it is. But generally after cuttings have begun new shoot growth those parts would be free from pesticides, but ther may still be pesticdes present from the parts that were the initial cuttings, probably at a low rate though.
Interesting. I contacted the lowes I bought them from and they said all they use is neem oil but I'm gonna have to check where they get the plants and ask them. I dont wanna kill my t but finding the plants I want online has been a hassle. And when did corkbark get so expensive?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting. I contacted the lowes I bought them from and they said all they use is neem oil but I'm gonna have to check where they get the plants and ask them. I dont wanna kill my t but finding the plants I want online has been a hassle. And when did corkbark get so expensive?
So neem oil is and can be used systemically (technically more translaminar) so that neem oil is likely not just on in the plants, It is also sprayed for topical application, but it is also watered into the soil and is systemic. The systemic Is a better application for neem sometimes. When I have used it I would use it systemically and then topically to control.

Last edited:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
So neem oil is and can be used systemically so that neem oil is likely not just on in the plants, It is also sprayed for topical application, but it is also watered into the soil and is systemic. The systemic Is a better application for neem sometimes. When I have used it I would use it systemically and then topically to control.
He said they sprayed it but that doesnt mean it couldn't have been absorbed ig

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Even with the short half life of neem I wouldnt use those plants with your pokie.
I'll probably order from new England herp in that case. While you're here do you think the plants will be fine for 3 to 4 days in the semi cold? I dont want to pay 33 for shipping on a 60 dollar order

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'll probably order from new England herp in that case. While you're here do you think the plants will be fine for 3 to 4 days in the semi cold? I dont want to pay 33 for shipping on a 60 dollar order
What exact type of plants? Plants vary greatly in degrees of hardiness, though I am assuming they may be more tropical for a bioactive than temperate.

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
How cold is semi cold, too? Lots of plants are ok down into the 50s, but 40s are borderline and anything in the 30s is really pushing it.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
What exact type of plants? Plants vary greatly in degrees of hardiness, though I am assuming they may be more tropical for a bioactive than temperate.
Specifically pilea depressa and some ferns. I cannot give the species on the ferns as they had no individuals but they had something like 5 for 13 bucks

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Plants vary greatly in degrees of hardiness,
Got me thinking of some desert shrub that recovered within a couple of weeks after being buried in a sand dune for 40 years. And quite a few plants that die in one to five minutes exposure to frost. Probably much more extremes have been noted.