WaS oN tHe RaDi0 4 Sc0RpiOn TaLk!!!

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
uploaded to 3 sites to be safe:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/freehi-q07-10-2010114308

http://www.mediafire.com/?mi89lhdq5alaw1q

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J1SHQAXO but megaupload is never reliable for me..

I was really nervous and none of it was planned other than the date and time. you can hear the lady ringing doorbell in the beginning. the lady interviewing is a Swedish-speaking Finn named Pia. Arachnoboards was mentioned, and linked to the radio's website and facebook and all that. I hope i didnt give any false info. if you have a problem with something i said and felt it was untrue, id appreciate you posting it here. and post whatever the hell ya want(all that and a bag of chips, smoking with cigarettes).

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey good job! :clap:

Honestly, I don't think I could have done better under those circumstances!

There were two things that I noticed that I would have done differently, but this is just constructive criticism, you did great. :D

First thing I noticed is that you said dirt as a substrate. Maybe that was best for comprehension of the radio audience, but very few of us use dirt. I would have said Coconut Coir, usually called coco, instead. But that isn't a big deal.

The main thing I wouldn't have added was that you got "dangerous species shipped to you by accident." That is rare for us unless you are importing. It makes me worry that people will look at this hobby as reckless. Or that people will be afraid to order an emperor because they might get a L.q. instead. Again, this isn't the end of the world. But in the future, I would personally try and downplay those rare accidents, because it does not represent normal transactions amongst us.

Other than that, you did awesome! You should be proud of yourself. Yeah!

btw, how'd you set this up? Did they contact you? Or did you contact them proposing to do a show? Just curious. :)

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
that's awesome, thanks Nomadinexile.
About the dirt I don't know why I didn't tell her that different scorpions need different substrates, but the one we were looking at was the heterometrus swammerdami. i thought i was doing that right. i think i need to get them some logs around their enclosures though. but sure enough, its just regular potting soil

excellent point about the "dangerous ones" and a lot of ignorant people are scared of it. Those people are scary.. In any case i would want to represent the truth and felt i didn't have enough time to think on my toes and fully represent. don't wanna say something dumb as hell on the radio, you know and I felt nervous.. not a public speaker. my mother in law heard that in the car :S In my opinion they aren't "dangerous" unless you stick your hand in my terrariums:p i would be more worried about Sisu-cat. she will kill you in your sleep

A friend called me and said his mother was works for the radiostation, and after she heard about me, he called me and asked me if I wanted to meet her, then she asked if she could come over a certain date. She was a really nice lady.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Soil is pretty hit or miss here. You have to be really careful what kind you are using.

Problems you can run into here include:
a. much of your soil contains pesticides, insecticides, heavy metals, etc.
b. much of it contains spores and seeds, that will sprout in nutrient rich soil.
c. much is highly salted, from industrial agriculture, which can be consumed by feeders.
d. some of it is bad substrate because of contents not draining well or reverse.
e. soil can often contain ants, soil centipedes, and other pests

You can nuke it to get rid of SOME of it's downsides, but not all. And then you also lessen it's strong point of being able to grow plants well. It's a give and take.

I am planning on using soil in an upcoming communal, but I will be very particular about what soil I get, where it comes from, and mix it myself. But the only reason I will be using it, is so I can have lots of plants in there too.

Otherwise I only use sand, coco, (sometimes peat), and clay depending.

I worry about a lot of people's ability and knowledge to make a good soil mixture though. Maybe I should post a thread about it.... :confused:

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
nomadinexile try www.biobizz.nl

they are the best for growing things-that-are-like-tomatoes, as well as some scorpion sp. In my opinion, they are simply the finest in organic quality; I highly recommend it :D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on your latest radio experience, Cannabeast
I'd be nervous too and I agree with what Nomad said.
Hopefully this won't be the last scorpion talk you get to do.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool man! Just listened to it.You did an awesome job:clap::clap:

Thanks for sharing

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
thanks again guys just for listening. i really appreciate the constructive criticism and, the positive feedback. you know how it is talking to huge groups of people at one time. whew. sometimes you get embarrased from things your are making up in your head or whatever:p

Thankyou thanks again. many thankyou's :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nomadinexile try www.biobizz.nl

they are the best for growing things-that-are-like-tomatoes, as well as some scorpion sp. In my opinion, they are simply the finest in organic quality; I highly recommend it :D
:D

I like roots organic and foxfarm for my Tomatoes.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to use for a planted tank I'm hoping to set up sooner than later, though it does keep stretching into later... :p

I have to read some more about the plants I want to use, but I think I'm going to end up just buying pure organic humus, then mixing in some coco, worm castings, oyster shell, etc.

The problem I have with most soils that are actually good and organic, is that most contain perlite, which I don't want in my tank. I looked at the link you provided a little, but I don't think that I can get that here anyway. We can get all your nutes, but soil transport costs make it prohibitively expensive.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
THANKYOU JC, THANKYOU THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR HEARING IT, THAT WAS CRAZY. yeah nomad, but you make it yourself just like you said. Why don't you want perlite? you could use vermiculite instead, but its a little more expensive since it only comes from south africa. coco sub is better than both in my opinion. the main point is, that the ingredients that you use, MUST be sterile, have the ability to retain moisture in some cases, and have proper drainage to grow plants-that-are-like-tomatoes, and for all your creatures you love. I've had grow-ops that ended up dead because of some mold and pests, that would be equally harmful to your scorpions. BUY STERILE INGREDIENTS FOR ALL YOUR LIVING CRITTERS' SUBSTRATES! Else you may end up with all the problems nomad listed. Maintain a clean living condition for all of them too, as to not invite any of those other unwanted creatures. Nomad, you are right there should be a post, so that people can find GOOD substrate recipes for their particular species of creature. Cannabajuana growships usually have everything you could be looking for pertaining to those, and there's usually at least one of these shops in every big city, expecially in the states. We got em here, and I'm almost up here in the arctic circle. Sometimes you do have to look em up though. Actually if you look up some growshops online I'm sure you can get MUCH cheaper deals for the same products rather than going to your local growshop. Yo nomad make that post so we can add recipes for species! and Get those communal tanks going with the plants in em too. Im much more satisfied when their tank is beautiful, and more nature inside. The plants i keep in the Heterometrus swammerdami tank help me maintain a high humidty as well:) anyway what else to say other than we are all connected, live learn laugh love, & don't smoke with ciggarettes.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing!

A Texan in Finland, would have never guessed ;)

Great job!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
THANKYOU JC, THANKYOU THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR HEARING IT, THAT WAS CRAZY. yeah nomad, but you make it yourself just like you said. Why don't you want perlite? you could use vermiculite instead, but its a little more expensive since it only comes from south africa. coco sub is better than both in my opinion. the main point is, that the ingredients that you use, MUST be sterile, have the ability to retain moisture in some cases, and have proper drainage to grow plants-that-are-like-tomatoes, and for all your creatures you love. I've had grow-ops that ended up dead because of some mold and pests, that would be equally harmful to your scorpions. BUY STERILE INGREDIENTS FOR ALL YOUR LIVING CRITTERS' SUBSTRATES! Else you may end up with all the problems nomad listed. Maintain a clean living condition for all of them too, as to not invite any of those other unwanted creatures. Nomad, you are right there should be a post, so that people can find GOOD substrate recipes for their particular species of creature. Cannabajuana growships usually have everything you could be looking for pertaining to those, and there's usually at least one of these shops in every big city, expecially in the states. We got em here, and I'm almost up here in the arctic circle. Sometimes you do have to look em up though. Actually if you look up some growshops online I'm sure you can get MUCH cheaper deals for the same products rather than going to your local growshop. Yo nomad make that post so we can add recipes for species! and Get those communal tanks going with the plants in em too. Im much more satisfied when their tank is beautiful, and more nature inside. The plants i keep in the Heterometrus swammerdami tank help me maintain a high humidty as well:) anyway what else to say other than we are all connected, live learn laugh love, & don't smoke with ciggarettes.
Wow. Where to begin. lol. :D

1. Perlite- Perlite is great for tomatoes, but it looks ugly and unnatural in a scorp tank. Perlite can easily be replaced with a more natural looking additive. There is no reason to use it. Plus, it floats without a top layer to subdue it, like clay balls or pure coco. If you ever flood the tank, you will end up with a layer of unnatural looking white "foam". There is no reason to do this besides cost or laziness.

2. Sterility- I agree that the best ingredients to use for scorpions are sterile. But for Plants, you should have a biologically active soil. True Living Organics is the standard for me. The microrganisms that inhabit LIVE soil, is what break down macro nutrients into absorbable micro nutrients. Without them, you are basically using hydroponics. And I don't want chemicals in my Tomatoes. I agree with a coco based substrate though. :). Even in TLO, you can (should?) use coco based soils. For scorpions, this could cause a problem, but if you want an ecosystem, not a cage, then you must allow the risk within bounderies. My terrarium that I'm planning will reflect this. Risk/Benefit is a constant of the world we live in.

3. I will post a soil thread soon. I was just waiting for a request. ;)

4. CANNABOSM Is an old biblical term you can find in old Hebrew bibles from the first millinia, I would recommend this term for this board for right now. And yes, there are plenty of gardening/hydroponic stores in the states. If you don't have a good one close, Fed Ex or UPS will deliver! :cool:

5. I'll try to quit smoking cigs, but I need to move somewhere where Cannabosm is legal to help me do so first. I spent a decade living on the street, and many many nights, cigs were my only/best friend. It's hard to break that bond. But it will happen when the conditions are right. Go freedom.
:2:

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
Wow. Where to begin. lol. :D

1. Perlite- Perlite is great for tomatoes, but it looks ugly and unnatural in a scorp tank. Perlite can easily be replaced with a more natural looking additive. There is no reason to use it. Plus, it floats without a top layer to subdue it, like clay balls or pure coco. If you ever flood the tank, you will end up with a layer of unnatural looking white "foam". There is no reason to do this besides cost or laziness.

2. Sterility- I agree that the best ingredients to use for scorpions are sterile. But for Plants, you should have a biologically active soil. True Living Organics is the standard for me. The microrganisms that inhabit LIVE soil, is what break down macro nutrients into absorbable micro nutrients. Without them, you are basically using hydroponics. And I don't want chemicals in my Tomatoes. I agree with a coco based substrate though. :). Even in TLO, you can (should?) use coco based soils. For scorpions, this could cause a problem, but if you want an ecosystem, not a cage, then you must allow the risk within bounderies. My terrarium that I'm planning will reflect this. Risk/Benefit is a constant of the world we live in.

3. I will post a soil thread soon. I was just waiting for a request. ;)

4. CANNABOSM Is an old biblical term you can find in old Hebrew bibles from the first millinia, I would recommend this term for this board for right now. And yes, there are plenty of gardening/hydroponic stores in the states. If you don't have a good one close, Fed Ex or UPS will deliver! :cool:

5. I'll try to quit smoking cigs, but I need to move somewhere where Cannabosm is legal to help me do so first. I spent a decade living on the street, and many many nights, cigs were my only/best friend. It's hard to break that bond. But it will happen when the conditions are right. Go freedom.
:2:

5)i think the way it works, is that when you will it enough, you just stop. you dont really try to stop, you just want it so bad, that you have no will to smoke it anymore. but i smoke with cigarettes so who the hell am i to give you advice about that. they've been there with me through all my troubles, and yeah what you said.

4) thanks for the new awesome vocabulary word. i love it. is it cannabism or cannabosm? put up a good link? people in history have always been like me: interacting with their environment.

3) good luck. ill be there, man.

2)for a vivarium i couldn't agree more. i like these. hard to maintain, but they give you back enough beauty for every ounce of work you put into it. It's totally worth it.

1) i agree, perlites kinda nasty looking. wonder if vermiculite would do the same. i like using vermiculite. still coco husk and hydro correls work better for me.

Thanks again for participating BAM1082, im glad you guys got to hear me doing that.
you'd be amazed at how fast word travels in this country and everyone knows you better than you know anyone else :S It's almost like these tiny little towns in TX :p

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it's Cannabosm. I first saw it in a bible from 800 AD (ish) that a friend was translating. I think he found it 3 times in the Old Testament. On top of the use mentioned at the link I'm pming you, there is also a passage in the bible that refers to the priests closing their tents, burning Cannabosm and praying to god. Of course that name changed happened as well.

As for Vermiculite, it is a good soil amendment. A little different than perlite, but functional for the purpose. Vermiculite is absorbent, and will hold more water than it drains. Well, until is is water logged. It's not ph neutral either. Also, for Americans: Do NOT reuse vermiculite found in your old house insulation. It most likely contains high amounts of asbestos. Use only horticulture grade new vermiculite found in gardening stores.

A better perlite replacement imo is pumice. This is a dark colored volcanic rock that will not hold water but drain it. However, it will hold a little water and nutrients in the cracks and crevices it naturally has.