Was I decieved?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
After the ant invasion I replaced the substrate with potting soil/peat mix (of unknown ratio). I asked the woman if the soil was natual and free of insecticides, etc. and she said it was.

Is it supposed to have those little balls of styrofoam in there? Have I been mislead? I'm very paranoid, I know...

N.

WolfMemnoch

Arachnopeon
Ah, you mean perlite, I believe...
Perlite is a volcanic rock that has been heated and expanded to become a lightweight white material. It is sterile and pH-neutral. When added to a soil mix, perlite can improve air space and water drainage. Perlite pieces create tiny air tunnels that allow water and air to flow freely to the roots of plants.

Mmmm humidity. =D

Depending on the maker of the organic they may or may not use perlite. A friend of mine picked up some that did, some of the ones I've seen personally don't, but that's because they typically put another ingredient in to compensate and create a similar effect.

Hopefully my midnight madness made some sense. :? Off to bed I go.

WolfMemnoch

Arachnopeon
D'oh

Caught myself in a doosy it can also be polystyrene beads or foam.

ok, now I know I need sleep. Sorry there.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, either perlite or large vermiculite pieces. There should probably be an ingredient list on the back of the bag. Take a look at that.

PS. I really don't like using potting soil. I prefer peat/vermiculite.

Jon

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Yeah, either perlite or large vermiculite pieces. There should probably be an ingredient list on the back of the bag. Take a look at that.

PS. I really don't like using potting soil. I prefer peat/vermiculite.

Jon
There's no "Ingredients:" on the bag, but a short paragraph. They do mention perlite, though. It still feels like polystyrene, though LoL

No one mentioned if that's good or bad for the T...should I assume that since no one posted "Bloody hell! get that outta there!" that I'm ok? ;)

N.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think its any worse than vermiculite... all it does is help the soil retain moisture which is a good thing for most tarantula species :)

I have a helluva time finding any soil here that has no fertilizer in it thats my dilemma

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It probably is perlite or vermiculite as everyone else has said and it is sterile and non-toxic to spiders. I usually use straight vermiculite as a substrate (for moisture retention), unless it is a deep burrowing species (H. albostriatum). Good luck with your tarantulas!

Andy

Avicularia avicularia
Theraphosa blondi
Grammastola rosea
Hysterocrates hercules
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Cyclosternum fasciatum
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Aponopelma seemanni
Brachypelma boehmi
Lasiodora parahybana
Brachypelma vagans
Brachypelma albopilosa
Thrixopelma pruriens
Poecilotheria regalis
Haplopelma albostriatum
Haplopelma lividum
Grammastola pulchra
Grammastola aureiostriatus
Megaphobema mesomelas
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
Cyriopagopus thorelli
Citharschius crawshayi
Brachypelma emelia
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Heteroscodra maculata

Last edited:

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pearlite

the pearlite is just fine, I am a manager at a plant nursery and I use the soil that we buy for our plants ,its a combonation of peat and pearlite.
Doug