Warrior beetle pupation

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Well my pasimachus is still alive and quite well but with it reaching quite large size and fall approaching I've run into the prospect of pupating it and my question is how? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
As of right now I'm just gonna cool it down a tiny bit if it hasnt pupated on its own later in the winter and see what happens

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
As of right now I'm just gonna cool it down a tiny bit if it hasnt pupated on its own later in the winter and see what happens
Glad to hear it's still doing well, it will probably not pupate this year but it will need to hibernate, I'd give it an enclosure with a deep substrate, stop feeding it and keep it cool, make sure it's moist the whole time and if it comes to the surface and looks like it's trying to get out or looks distressed, try feeding it immediately.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
How cool do you think for hibernation I'm not even 100% sure of species but I think it's P. Californicus

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
How cool do you think for hibernation I'm not even 100% sure of species but I think it's P. Californicus
I think the low 60s would be enough, any lower may have harmful side effects on the larva. If it does not hunker down in the substrate after a couple weeks I would keep it even colder. BTW, it may be a little early for hibernation, I'd wait just a couple more weeks.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I think the low 60s would be enough, any lower may have harmful side effects on the larva. If it does not hunker down in the substrate after a couple weeks I would keep it even colder. BTW, it may be a little early for hibernation, I'd wait just a couple more weeks.
I wasn't going to start now I just knew I needed to do something for the larvae this winter.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
He's been pretty inactive recently and not eating much either which is why I made this thread actually, I have still offered food including the ripped up roach in the picture.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Here he is he's grown a lot haha
Nice man, looks pretty well fed lol! :D

He's been pretty inactive recently and not eating much either which is why I made this thread actually, I have still offered food including the ripped up roach in the picture.
Yeah, he's probably just full, or preparing for the cool period. Really hope you are successful in rearing this guy to adulthood, you'd be the first in recorded history to do so! :)

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I'm hoping it works out fine so far its been really smooth im just worried about all the unknowns involved in reaching adulthood

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
But the cooling makes sense as a winter temp drop is normal in the range of all pasimachus sp. This could be and my biggest concern now is getting substrate right for proper pupation

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Should I stick with semi moist sand and coco fiber or change it up? What works with other carabid larvae?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'm hoping it works out fine so far its been really smooth im just worried about all the unknowns involved in reaching adulthood
Yeah, the pupation will probably be the hardest part, at least you probably won't have to deal with that until next winter since Pasimachus larva take two years to mature.

But the cooling makes sense as a winter temp drop is normal in the range of all pasimachus sp. This could be and my biggest concern now is getting substrate right for proper pupation
Should I stick with semi moist sand and coco fiber or change it up? What works with other carabid larvae?
I think the sand and coconut fiber mix is pretty good for this species, seems close to what their soil is like in the wild. :)

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
So he's made a sort of large chamber and hasn't left it for a few weeks and has just been sitting in the same position the whole time