Warning! This isn't pretty.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This pede was missing it's better half. Right when I walked in my back sliding glass door, I saw the pede on the rug walking around like everything was just fine. I couldn't find the other half. It's a mystery. I thought one of the ones I have had gotten out. But this was a wild one!, or, half a wild one... In 10 years, I never saw any in my house but, in the last 12 months, I've seen two now. I didn't want to waste it on ants so I gave it to one of the pedes. I've never seen it love to eat something so much. I wanted to give the rest to the monster S. h. castaneiceps. This one did not want to let go! It was hanging in the air from the dead pede. I even had a hard time prying it away with a chopstick. It looked for that pede to eat for the next 15 minutes. I gave the rest to the biggest one. Same thing. It wasn't hungry earlier today, but when I put the pede corpse in there, well, it was pretty excited about it.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, that's very interesting! Have you looked around your sliding glass door for the missing pede parts?

Remember the post about how to catch pedes with a jar buried in the ground? If they love them so much, perhaps a dead pede would be good bait.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish my centipede was like that. I never see him eat, and I'm sure if i threw a larger insect in his enclosure he wouldnt do a thing to it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea, the first thing I did before I picked up the injured pede was check the sliding door but, nothing. After a leg count, I realized not much was cut off, maybe smashed. It might be stuck under the door if that's what happened but I couldn't find anything. Another pede molted, about to post pics. Waiting on the dialup:mad: . What kind of pede is it you have slimtim454.

Last edited:

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Galapo, that's a CRAZY BIG CASTANEICEPS you have there!!!! It's quite strange that half a centipede could find it's way into your house... I think the chances are good that it got cut in two in your house, maybe you'll find the other half eventually, hehe :). Great pics, as always :).

phil.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I considered that too when I saw the first one. The wind is out of the south this time of year and air goes out my back screen door. I've been going out at night with a flashlight looking around my back door and on the side of my house but nothing yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aw poor little pede.. haha I love that picture of the giant S. h. castaneiceps holding onto it when your pulling it away.