Want to raise field crickets

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, my first time here on the forum!! I am looking for field crickets to raise, I am in southern california and have been looking everywhere for them but I only found house crickets. I would love to obtain some to raise in my terrarium. Please help, thanks!!

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I think RoachCrossing has field crickets available from time-to-time, but I saw from other people that he is moving right now, so if you order from him it might not come so soon.

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Thanks Jacob and Ghost56, I will try them both, I did not know you can find it on ebay though!! anywhere else I can buy it from in case ebay and roachcrossing don't work out? Thanks.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone, my first time here on the forum!! I am looking for field crickets to raise, I am in southern california and have been looking everywhere for them but I only found house crickets. I would love to obtain some to raise in my terrarium. Please help, thanks!!
I'm thinking that people don't often sell them because they're available outside. Especially in your neck of the woods where its warm year around.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Yes, it's unfortunate for me, I hope to find some soon though, thanks!!
Ya sorry, all I could find on ebay were house crickets and banded crickets. You might could search a little deeper, even give amazon a go, and possibly find something.

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Any more ideas guys? I tried contacting roachcrossing but got no answer, ebay was a no go either.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
They have one batch of 12 left here. Get it while you can! This species is Gryllus pennsylvanicus, so keep that in mind.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'm wondering if a species from the Northeast is going to require a hibernation period at some point during its life cycle. Be it eggs or crickets.

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Oh no bad news, they cancelled my order, spring time is when it is available... any other ideas you guys?

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I'm wondering if a species from the Northeast is going to require a hibernation period at some point during its life cycle. Be it eggs or crickets.
Oh, these crickets don't hibernate. Most of them die by the first frost, and the rest die soon after or infiltrate your basement in search of a "better" environment.

The last option I know of is argiope.se which you can ask various people on the website who have the crickets. Otherwise, I don't know, sorry. I could catch a few and send them to you, but it's a little late for that.

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Thank you Jacob, I will try that when I get the chance. That second option is good too, I promise to cover the shipping cost and the crickets fee!!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Oh, these crickets don't hibernate. Most of them die by the first frost, and the rest die soon after or infiltrate your basement in search of a "better" environment.
Then the eggs will have to overwinter. My point is, with some species, the eggs won't hatch unless you keep them refrigerated for a few months. In other words, you have to subject them to an artificial winter.

Last edited:

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Ehh. Not with these particular species though. I find young crickets that have emerged early in the beginning to middle of fall, and unfortunately also die early as well. Cricket eggs will take the chance whenever the weather is constantly warm enough, like mantis ooths. I have raised some of my local species before, so I would also know from first-hand experience.

bassfanatick

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much everyone for your help!! through another forum I was able to buy about 30 crickets, my collection is complete now. If anybody need to know where I bought it, just pm me, thanks!!

Attachments